Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire BBC  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
NERO BBC
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:16:41 pm »

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
CONSTANTINE BBC
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: NERO BBC
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:22:22 pm »
This is from a series called Ancient Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire, all of which can be found on youtube. Some episodes are better than others.

I have merged all the links you have posted in this one topic.

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
Re: Ancient Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire BBC
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »
I cant find the full move for CAESAR

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:29:03 pm »
Thanks looks much better now .I think your favorite is the rebellion "Vespasian" ;D

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
The Vespasian episode was quite well done. It made we want to see a full feature film treatment of the Jewish War!

Here is the one for Julius Caesar: Part 1 www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfKwywgs1g4

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:23 pm »
Caesar part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfKwywgs1g4
part 2  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8oV4pq4QE

Offline Britanikus

• Caesar
    • Galerie
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 09:51:25 pm »
looks like i was looking for the same thing part 3 caesar is missing .Yes i wish there is more movies like this HBO ROME WAS OK

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:04:18 am »
The Nero episode was 50/50, to me. They initially depicted him making some effort to help out in the fire of Rome, which he did.
However, perhaps to get the ratings, they then reverted to showing him as a sadist, kicking to death his wife.
After seeing this shocking scene, I went to read a book I bought and read many years ago.
Richard Holland's "Nero, the man behind the myth"
Apparently, this event was slander.
According to Richard:

"Poppaea had become pregnant a second time, giving him new hope of a child to continue the dynasty. Only about two months after Piso's conspiracy, however, she had a miscarriage, accompanied by haemorrhaging. She died at the age of about thirty-three."
Regarding the slander, the documentary has it Nero was angry when she commented on him dropping the sceptre during a performance, whilst the slander was about him kicking her to death after she scolded him for coming home late from a chariot race:

And furthermore:

"There is no reason to credit such an outrageous fabrication, which would make sense only at a much lower social level. That sort of domestic brawl no doubt occured often enough in the urban slums, but it is scarely conceivable in the imperial household, where Emperor and spouse had separate apartments and sets of servants, and prided themselves on living in unparalleled splendour"
"There is no mention of Nero ever raising either his hand or his foot against his first wife Octavia, even though he hated her for most of the ten years of their married life.

I found the Vespasian episode the best, and most of all, which is rare for a film/documentary of a Roman persona, the actor looked quite like Vespasian and even gave him his "down to earth" attitude as well.

The Constantine episode had good costumes, rather than the anachronistic Republican costumes they always show Romans of the 4th century wearing in most programs, primarily on the "History" channel.
However, in the entire episode, there was not a sign of his first son, Crispus.

The Alaric episode was okay, in that at least it did not show the Goths as a bunch of horn-helmeted sadists.
Also it showed Alaric telling his soldiers to not attack the churches in Rome. The Goths were Christians, though of the Arian creed, after all.

I do not blame the actors, it is the script writers having to compromise to appease ratings obsessed, empty-headed, bosses.
Why bother in the first place to commission a series about Roman emperors, when major parts of their life are edited out or altered.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity