Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: French Coins from the House of Bourbon through Modern  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Vincent C3

• Legionary
French Coins from the House of Bourbon through Modern
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:06 am »
Hi,
First of all, I want to say thank you for this awesome website. I've learned so much and had a blast looking at all the coins. I've been collecting for as long as I can remember but I've never focused on one particular area. After reading so posts about the pros and cons of random collections VS specialized ones, I thought it would be cool to put together a collection of French coins starting with those that were minted during the reign of the Bourbon Kings and continue through today. I studied Bourbon France while I was in college and have a soft spot for those wacky kings. Anyway I have a few questions,

1. How hard are coins from Henri IV-The Second Republic to come by?
2. Can you recommend a website or a book that would list all the coins from the periods I've mentioned?

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to years of fun on this site :)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: French Coins from the House of Bourbon through Modern
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:47:44 am »
Welcome to the site.  I'm sorry your inquiry didn't generate any responses.  Sometimes they have to sit for a while before someone with experience in that area comes along to read it.  Also, although the Forum covers later periods in discussions and its offerings, it is primarily for ancient coin collecting.  Your area is certainly outside any area I'm familiar with.  Keep reading here at the forum, and keep posting questions.  Who knows, you may become the expert here on Bourbon King coins in years to come. 

Offline Vincent C3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:51 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I thought it was worth a shot to check. I love ancient coins as well and have a few in my collection. I'm just a French History (and Colonial American) history buff. You're right...maybe in a few years I'll be the "go-to" guy for Bourbon Dynasty coins. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »
Hi Vincent and welcome to Forvm !

Although I'm not expert in the field you mention I do have a small collection covering the period. You will find it here : https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3530

As a reference book I use Ciani's because it's easy to use and about the whole story, but it's very old and quite obsolete. Anyway, the prices it gives, while in "francs-or" are useful to appreciate relative rarity of the coins described.

I don't know of any other book doing the "all in one" job but you may find useful references here : http://www.cgb.fr/boutique,librairie,monnaies-royales-et-feodales-monnaies-royales,3-7-8.html

Best
JC

Offline Vincent C3

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:48 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advise. I think I have enough info for a jumping off point. This is going to be fun!!!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity