Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Bucheum  (Read 714 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
The Bucheum
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:02 am »
Dear Friends,
     I hope this is on topic... My main interest is ancient Egyptian scarabs, amulets, beads and other minor antiquities. To collectors of Roman coins which found their way into Egypt, I have Volume 3 of -
Mond, Robert and Oliver H. Myers, et al. The Bucheum, 3 vols. Ed. H.W. Fairman. London: The Egypt Exploration Society, 1934. it has two plates, Numbers XC, titled " Metal Objects (Ctd) The Coin Obverses  and XCI titled "Metal Objects (CTD) The Coin Reverses". I can only guess that the 162 coins illustrated, date to the First to Second Century A.D. Since I do not have or have access to Volumes 1 and 2, I cannot tell you any more about them. The Bucheum was a sacred place where the ancient Egyptians buried the Buchis bulls. The site dates from Pre-Dynastic times down to Roman times.
Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity