Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with my Tiberius Cascantum with Legionary Countermark  (Read 874 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Help with my Tiberius Cascantum with Legionary Countermark
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »
I think I'm going to clean some of the deposits off to highlight the details.  I'll purchase an inexpensive 20X stereo boom microscope, that I've had my eye on for a while, before I start.  Any suggestions?   Anyone think I should just leave it alone?

Thanks,
                                  Nemo

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Help with my Tiberius Cascantum with Legionary Countermark
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »
Ave!

Too easy. DW soak and common dental pick.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:36:54 am »
I am for leaving it alone. 

I see signs of pitting on the obverse and what may be BD or nascent BD in them.  If this is an accurate assessment (and only you can know with the coin in hand) then any cleaning, especially any soak that removes dirt risks making it look far less attractive.  (There was another thread recently about an even more pitted coin.)

You could remove some of the dirt - say from the bull's shoulder - with a scalpel if you want but I would do that work dry - i.e. with no DW soak at all.

I would also monitor this coin for BD deterioration.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:15:42 am »
Thanks for the input.  I ordered my microscope, I'm going to wait to take a closer look at those spots before I do anything. I'll let you know what happens.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:08:06 pm »
Well, it is positively BD. I'm going to attempt a return.

Thanks,
                    Nemo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity