Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644  (Read 1330 times)
Rugser
Deceased Member
Caesar

« on: February 23, 2004, 02:38:32 pm »

Silver-mixture mm19

D/ VRBANVS  VIII P. MAX
R/ St. Michael Archangel demolishes the Demon.

The reverse is interesting because for the first time I see the Demon represented on a coin.

ser  

Follibus Fanaticus
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 02:56:37 pm »

Dear Sir:

You have indeed seen a demon.  I think the coin is a Muntoni Number 195, described as "S. Michele scaccia Lucifero."  So your coin shows the Archangel and the greatest demon of them all.  The coin is a quattrino.

Urban VIII issues much better demons.  On the huge silver "piastra" you will get a much better look at "Lucifero" and "Sancto Michele," too. Muntoni No. 34, another piastra -- which is about 20 percent heavier than a U.S. silver dolar -- shows our hero besting no less than four demons.

Follibus Fanaticus

Follibus Fanaticus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop