Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: greek maybe roman coin with kneeling archer on reverse side ( id help please )  (Read 2053 times)

chriton

Hello my father has this coin and has asked me to help him find out any information I can about it .

It looks like maybe a greek or roman coin large sized with a bearded male figure head on one side and a faceless kneeling archer on the reverse side .

It has no identifying marks other then the archer and the bearded man. We have taken it to various coin shops and no one can identify it.

The coin appears to be bronze and poured not stamped or hammer stamped both sides of the coins figures are raised from the back ground.

the photos of it are the front the reverse and the size of it compared to a quarter .

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated .

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Looks like a modern copy, with the types in mirror image, of a gold or silver coin of the island of Thasos off the southern coast of Thrace, obverse Bearded head of Dionysos wearing ivy wreath; reverse Herakles wearing lion’s skin headdress, kneeling and shooting an arrow from his bow.

On the originals, the head of Dionysos can face either left or right, but the archer seems to be always kneeling and shooting right, not left as on your reproduction.
Curtis Clay

chriton

ok thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity