Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian - As SALVTI AVGVSTI with COS XII - unlisted in new R.I.C.  (Read 1372 times)

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Hello everyone.

The SALVTI AVGVSTI reverse, depicting a large altar, is a well-known subject issued by Domitian following the war with Chatti.
It is believed that the type was meant to celebrate his safe return to Rome.

The new edition of R.I.C. 2 lists only issues of year 84 (COS X) and year 85 (COS XI alone, COS XI CENS POT and finally COS XI CENS PER).

The first edition of R.I.C. 2, edited by Mattingly and Sydenham, however, listed as # 338 also one issue of year 86 (COS XII) with an express reference to # 420 in the catalog of Henry Cohen (collection Cheddeau and De Sarcus).
Incidentally Cohen read CENS POT (definitely out of time) in obverse legend.

Today I had the proof that this coin exists, having been lucky enough to find a specimen in reasonable condition and clearly legible.

Not sure only of the final "I" on AVGVSTI on reverse; it could be simply AVGVST as in some of the first issues of the type.

Kind regards

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90716

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian - As SALVTI AVGVSTI with COS XII - unlisted in new R.I.C.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
Have you emailed Carradice and Buttrey about this coin?

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:08 am »
Have you emailed Carradice and Buttrey about this coin?

I'll certainly do it!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:18:58 am »
Yes, please do!

BTW, awesome coin.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »
Very interesting coin
 congrats

+++

regards
Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:02:30 pm »
Cohen first described the Chedeau and de Sarcus coin in the supplement volume 7 of his first edition, 1868, Domitian 74; the source is a publication by those two authors describing coins found in the bed of the Mayenne River in 1864, Mémoire sur les découvertes archéologiques faites en 1864 dans le lit de la Mayenne, cited on p. XIX of Cohen's volume.

It would be good to check this work by C. and de S. to confirm Cohen's description of the coin; maybe they also say what happened to the coins, for example whether they were acquired by a local museum so could perhaps still be checked there today.

In his supplement volume Cohen merely gives the date of this As as COS XII CENS POT P P, without pointing out the anomalous POT not PER, and he prices the coin as "C"; but in the second edition of his volume 1, 1880, Domitian 420, he adds a (sic), COS XII CENS POT (sic) P P, and he deletes the "C", leaving the coin unpriced. Apparently he had doubts about the correctness of that reading, as though it might have been misread from COS XI CENS POT, or maybe the coin was an ancient imitation with botched legend.

In the light of Alberto's new coin, perhaps the Mayenne coin too really read COS XII CENS PER P P, and POT was just a slip of the pen. To find out, we should recheck Chedeau and de Sarcus' publication, and ideally also the coin itself, if it was acquired by a local museum!
Curtis Clay

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:22:21 am »
"Le Musée du Chateau de Mayenne" should host the coins found in 1865 and partially described from Chedeau and de Sarcus.

Only a few are showed to the public.

Here is a short note from the museum's site:

"Plus de 26 000 pièces ont été trouvées lors de fouilles archéologiques menées en 1864-1865, en majorité du 1er siècle après J.-C. : c’est le trésor du gué Saint Léonard. Nous vous présentons les pièces les plus emblématiques et les mieux conservées..."

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:32:02 am »
I guess it would be too much to ask for all of them to be available for viewing.

Perhaps an email to the curator with a question concerning the correct reading of the coin in question would suffice?

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:54:14 am »
I've reported the coin to professor Carradice.

Maybe he knows P.A. Besombes, who edited "Le dépôt monétaire de 22438 monnaies du gué de Saint-Léonard (commune de Mayenne)" (Bibliothèque nationale de France, 2005).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity