Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Ainianes... unusal if not enigmatic!  (Read 5581 times)

Lloyd Taylor

The Ainianes... unusal if not enigmatic!
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:21:39 am »
My latest addition is of uncertain denomination and/or weight standard. You rarely come across one of these:

Thessaly, The Ainianes, Hypata, 1st century BC, AR Trihemidrachm or Didrachm  
Obv:   Head of Athena right wearing Attic helmet decorated with tendril, Pegasos and four horse protomes.
Rev:   ΑΙΝΙΑΝΩΝ l. up, ΚΑΝΩΡ r. down, Phemios as a slinger, naked but for chlamys over his shoulder and sword in scabbard, shooting sling to right; behind, leaning against his right leg, two spears.
Ref:   De Callataÿ, Argent, p. 130, 34 D4/R1 (this coin); BCD Thessaly II 41.2 (this coin). (24 mm, 6.97 g 12h) Unique example of the magistrate ΚΑΝΩΡ
ex-BCD Collection: Triton XV (BCD Thessaly II Catalogue - 3 January 2012) lot 41.2

Traditionally dated to 168-146 BC, this rare and enigmatic coin type is now considered to be of the 1st century BC and most likely of the period ca. 80-30 BC. The exact denomination of this coin is uncertain. Described as a trihemidrachm (Walker based on reduced Aeginitic standard hemidrachm of 2.5 g), it may be a reduced weight didrachm (de Callatay’s preferred terminology), or a stater (BCD’s suggestion).  The weights of the surviving examples (plotted below) show appreciable dispersion with a strongly developed modal weight of 7.6 grams (mean 7.37 g and median 7.5 g) which cannot be readily associated with a known weight standard and/or denomination in use in Central Greece at the time.

De Callatay catalogued 76 specimens of this coin denomination from 28 obverse and 60 reverse dies struck under 41 magistrates. This suggests a substantive issuance although surviving examples are relatively few in number. 36 magistrates in the series are represented by but one surviving example of the denomination. Based on considerations of style (comparing it to the progression of development of the Athenian New Style which the Ainianian obverse imitates) and coin fabric a date in the period 80-30 BC appears probable with the possibility of annual emissions suggested by the large number of magistrates.

Another unusual aspect of this coinage is that virtually all specimens of the coinage have a provenance to collections formed in the early twentieth century. No documented hoards of the type have been found and the examples that have come to market in the last few decades appear to have been recycled from old collections. Of the 77 known examples, 25 are held in private collections.

The Ainianes were essentially a tribal people/state with a capital at Hypata, rather than a conventional Greek polis. For historical info on the koinon of the Ainianes: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90693

I particularly like this coin for the fact that it is from one of the few obverse dies in the series that depict Athena with what I consider something approaching feminine facial features. On most she is portrayed as much more masculine, to the extent of resembling a grumpy old man on some. Perhaps this says something about the women of the Ainianes?

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: The Ainianes... unusal if not enigmatic!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »

I do not doubt the dating of your coin to post Sullan since my only post Sullan New Style has a portrait style that can be said to be similar to yours

The range of weights is interesting. Is there a graph (s)of magistrate in putative chronological order versus weight? What I am asking is do the "later" coins appear lighter than earlier coins etc...? What is the weight range for every known magistrate..etc?

As you know New Styles after Sulla become rare and after about 10 issues become extremely rare.

Was there a shortage of silver ( reparations to Rome?) so coins when made could be very variable in weight,( my post Sullan is a tad over 16 gm and in good condition, but another in similar condition example is 16.5 gm).

Maybe the rarity of New Style coinage caused these ΑΙΝΙΑΝΩΝ people to mint their own coins.

Did all ( well most anyway), get called in melted down...viz denarii of Caligula and Claudius?  We will never know.

Lots of magistrates and obverse dies means a big issue where are they all?  And yes it does seem like a single hoard find, just 77 coins for all magistrates.

Great coin interesting write up, as usual.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »
Cicerokid - Thanks for the compliment and the confirmation of dating to the post-Sullan era plus the additional insights on the broader monetary situation following Sulla's conquests.The date certainly fits with the historical record as well as the style considerations.

I had not given much thought to the matter of reduced Athenian mintage and its consequences throughout Greece after Sulla. However, I think you have made a very good point that may explain the Ainianian issues struck on an unusual weight standard and at a denomination for local use to meet a currency shortage.

The independent tribal nature of the Ainianes may have also been a motivation to strike the unusual coinage for use in their local economy, coinage clearly inspired by the new style tetradrachms, which prior to Sulla, were struck in Athens and appear to have circulated in Greece (and the Mediterranean) in abundance.

Also the lowering of the Attic weight standard in response to a silver shortage is quite possible and may have been also a factor in the decision of the Ainianes to strike their coinage, although if truly a Trihemidrachm (which I doubt) then it implies the opposite - an increase in the weight standard to a 5.07 g equivalent drachm (based on modal weight). I think it more likely that the Ainianianes considered this a didrachm (drachm equivalent 3.8 g) - it seems more likely to me and is consistent with a shortage of silver motivating a reduction in acceptable weight standard.

I had examined the possibility of a weight reduction through the series (see plot below). No systematic variiation in weight is apparent and the low weights occur randomly through the series.The lower weights don't appear to correlate strongly with wear, so I infer that what we are seeing is simply the result of sloppy mint practice. The latter would also be consistent with the lack of care, haphazard striking and disheveled fabric of many examples.

On the origin of surviving examples - it is quite possible that they all originate from a single unrecorded hoard found around century ago. In fact I think the provenances as far as known and the lack of any additional coins from later 20th century finds both point in that direction. The unusual denomination/weight standard probably meant that they were only acceptable locally (hence no occurrences in other regional hoards) and that virtually all examples were probably melted down and recycled into new coinage with the exception of a handful in a single hoard presumably found in the region of the Ainianes. It is also notable that the best preserved coins are the later ones in de Callatay's ordering of the emissions - a further pointer to a single hoard origin for the totality of known examples with closing of the hoard sometime around 30 BC?.

Thanks again for the great thought provoking input.

P.S.   Interestingly I came across this coin while seeking a good example of an Athenian New Style, which I've yet to get. Prior to this I was almost unaware of the existence of such coinage by the Ainianes. Its opened up a whole new topic to research and consideration.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:47:05 pm »
That is indeed a choice example of a rare coinage.  I have only seen a couple of other examples, and every one of those was damaged--holed or chipped.

Mac

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:23 am »
Lloyd,

Great coin.  Congratulations.  Although a bronze, I wanted to share my Ainianes coin with you.  I hadn't heard of coinage from this area either until a very reputable dealer at a coin show pulled one out and told me that it is a very uncommon coin. 

ObverseZeus facing right
Reverse:  [AIN]IAN[ΩN] on either side of mythical King Phemios shown as a slinger, naked but for chlamys over his shoulder and arm, sword in scabbard, shooting sling to right; behind, leaning against his right leg, two spears.
6.6 grams; 22.28 mm
Trichalkon
168-146 BCE

I find it interesting that you say that the date of creation of these coins is now 1st century.  Reason being????  Also interesting is the fact that the right arm on my coin is up as opposed to down on yours.  I understand that on these coins Phemios is shown with either a sling or a spear.  Here is some information I found.

"The reverses of the coinage of the Ainianes can be divided into two main groups: the first, which I believe is the earlier, bears the figure of Phemios who appears as a warrior with a short spear and either a petasos or a petasos-like small shield; the second also bears a depiction of Phemios, but using a sling instead of a spear. In any case the coins that show him as a slinger are definitely later in date. The present coin appears to combine both types and is typical of the kind of confusing iconography found on some Greek coins! "

"Recent scholarship has well documented the propensity of Greek poleis in the Hellenistic and Roman world to insert themselves into broader regional and panhellenic mythologies—to innovate or embroider established tradition when necessary—in an attempt both to define their position within a rapidly changing political landscape and to advertise their connectedness to one another (e.g., Jones 1999). The relationship of Greek ethnē to these developments has been much less prominent, however. This paper examines the persistence of ethnos identity in Hellenistic and Roman Greece through a close reading of the experiences of Ainis.   

The Ainianes, a small ethnos in the Spercheios valley of central Greece and early member of the Delphian amphictyony, were, through much of Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic history, under the sway of their more powerful neighbors, whether they be Thessalian, Spartan (from nearby Herakleia Trachinia) or Aitolian. Following the Macedonian defeat at Pydna, the Ainianes (re)formed a koinon before being subsumed into the Thessalian League and most likely integrated into the Roman province of Achaia in 27BCE. Throughout this extended period of subjection and submission, Ainian identity remained vibrant.

While the epigraphy of the region is not especially extensive, there are three literary passages which illuminate the various ways in which Ainian identity was articulated during the Hellenistic and Roman era: (1) [Aristotle], peri thaumasiōn akousmatōn, 843b15-844a5, recounts the discovery of an archaic metrical inscription outside Ainian Hypata. This text claimed to record the foundation of a sanctuary of Aphrodite in the region by Herakles himself after herding the cattle of Geryon. While one doubts Herakles’ role in establishing the cult, this strategy of integrating Ainis into a broader panhellenic thought-world is typical, as the evidence of the Lindian Chronicle makes clear (Higbie 2003); (2) Plutarch, Mor. 297b1-c6 (= Quaest. Graec. 26), describes a procession made by the Ainian maidens to the territory of Kassiope in Epirus. This display apparently traced in reverse a segment of the legendary wanderings of the ethnos from western Greece into the Spercheios valley; (3) Heliodorus’ Aithiopika 2.34-3.10 (esp. 2.34-35), the most difficult text of the three, offers a very full description of a Thessalian procession to Delphi which is headed by Ainianes. While the passage has attracted much warranted suspicion, particularly regarding the historicity of the procession it claims to describe (e.g., Rougemont 1992), it is clear that the position of the Ainianes within this Thessalian theoria and, in particular, Heliodorus’ description of Ainian claims on Achilles as an ancestral, perhaps national, hero coupled with Thessalian renunciation of competing claims, reflect a contemporary political reality of Roman Thessaly; under the empire, the political and symbolic center of Thessaly shifted south from Larisa to Hypata in Ainis.

The assembled texts offer a glimpse of Ainian tools of self-actualization in Hellenistic and Roman Greece—recreation of the legendary past, self-projection into a broader panhellenic mythology and exclusive claims on heroic (Homeric) ancestry. While Ainis was never a major player on the grand stage of Hellenic history, the persistence of the Ainianes qua Ainianes suggests that ethnos identity was not purely a matter of political expedience but had deeper, cultural purpose."

Steve S.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »
Steve - that is a very nice and rare bronze. Thanks also for the additional notes which highlight the proud independent tribal nature of the Ainianes whose "ethnos identity was not purely a matter of political expedience but had deeper, cultural purpose."

I find it interesting that you say that the date of creation of these coins is now 1st century.  Reason being????  Also interesting is the fact that the right arm on my coin is up as opposed to down on yours.  I understand that on these coins Phemios is shown with either a sling or a spear.  Here is some information I found.

"The reverses of the coinage of the Ainianes can be divided into two main groups: the first, which I believe is the earlier, bears the figure of Phemios who appears as a warrior with a short spear and either a petasos or a petasos-like small shield; the second also bears a depiction of Phemios, but using a sling instead of a spear. In any case the coins that show him as a slinger are definitely later in date. The present coin appears to combine both types and is typical of the kind of confusing iconography found on some Greek coins! "

A little more on the dating from the most recent work as summarized in the BCD Thessaly II (Triton XV) catalogue written by BCD and based on his scholarship of the Ainianies ... The main body of the coinage of the Ainianes was struck around the middle of the fourth century, then comes a small group struck around the time of Demetrios Poliorketes, and an even smaller group that utilized the the types of the Aitolioan League: their dating is highly uncertain. Finally there is a somewhat astonishing group of coins both silver and bronze, that simply must date to the 1st century BC, probably starting no earlier than the 80's and ending no later than the 30's BC.

The BCD Thessaly I catalogue (Nomos 4), compiled by Alan Walker, has much more specific dating info (based on historical records and style development) for each coin type,  too much to type here but was included in BCD's later exposition (Triton XV) on the subject.  So these catalogues Nomos 4 and Trition XV represent the latest word in scholarship on the subject. You can access them in part (lot specific) by searching on "Ainianies" in CNG Research. I dare say that BCD (Demetriadi) assembled and studied the largest and most extensive collection of the coinage of the Ainianes ever (and of Greek mainland coinage for that matter) so I consider his and Walker's analysis and conclusions based on study of said collection to be the most definitive.

From the BCD Thessaly I (Nomos 4 Lot 1016 - an AE Chalkous Zeus/Phemios) .... The reverses of the coinage of the Ainianes can be divided into two main groups: the first which I believe is the earlier, bears the figure Phemios who appears as a warrior with a short spear and either a petasos or a petasos like small shield; the second also bears a depiction of Phemios, but using a sling instead of a spear. In any case the coins that show him as a slinger are definitely later in date. The present coin appears to combine both types and is typical of the kind of confusing iconography found on some Greek coins.  Sense the problem? Also I should note that the arm of Phemios being up or down is not diagnostic of date - both styles appear in later coinage series.

Now turning to your coin. It bears the ethnic AINIANI upward on the left reverse and what I believe is a magistrates name (ΔIΩΔO ?)  downward on the right reverse. This (ethnic plus magistrate) plus its style are characteristic of the later first century issues (ca. 80's-30 BC). Below I have posted two  BCD Thessaly II lots (Lot 31 - the 4th-3rd century and Lot 45 - the 1st century) that show the style and epigraphic differences between the early and late bronze issues. In particular note the differing portrayals of Phemios' chlamys over his extended arm that also helps differentiate earlier from later emissions.  Your coin is 1st century based on the scholarship of Walker and Demetriadi.

Hope this helps (rather than confuses) the basis of the dating of these rarities.

In addition to consulting the BCD Thessaly catalogues, I suggest that for a detailed understanding of the analysis and dating of the late silver emissions (like the one heading the thread) of the Ainaines you should refer to de Callatay's 2004 paper in Obolos 7  Le monnayage d’argent émis par les Ainianes au type d’Athéna Parthénos which can be downloaded from his page on Academia.edu (http://kbr.academia.edu/FrancoisdeCallatay/Papers and http://www.academia.edu/337913/Le_monnayage_dargent_emis_par_les_Ainianes_au_type_dAthena_Parthenos ). Amongst other things his paper deals with the historical context and the post-Sullan iconographic influence. The bronze issues bearing magistrates names (by virtue of the latter) are clearly contemporaneous with the silvers.

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »
Lloyd,

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate you taking the time to share your insights and research with me.  It's fascinating stuff!

Steve S.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 03:16:55 am »
Happy to help... the Athens New Style issues of Sulla that cicerokid referred to are of a distinctive style compared to that which came before and its easy to see why de Callatay inferred that these late issues were the model for the obverse of the reduced weight didrachm issues of the Ainianes - two examples below makes for a nice comparison with the Ainianes didrachm.....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity