Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Addition Roman Republic Albinus togate figure holding aspergillum over bull  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL

I just could not resist this just looked like a nice coin I will have in a few week,leaving for the U.K. on Wed and I get to look at what I bought in the bulk lots from a few weeks ago.

A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus, Denarius serratus,Rome, 81 BC, AR, (g 3,98, mm 20, h 11). Draped bust of Diana r., with bow and quiver over shoulder; above, bucranium, Rv. Rock, on which stand lighted altar; on l., bull; on r., togate figure holding aspergillum over bull; around, A POST A F - S N ALBIN . Crawford 372/1; Postumia 7; Sydenham 745. Old cabinet tone. Extremely fine / About extremely fine.

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Very nice coin ,

good find

congrats

+++

quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
We are in the process of buying a house and trying not to buy any more coins but finding it very hard not to do AAAAAGGGGGGHHHH.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford

I just could not resist this just looked like a nice coin I will have in a few week,leaving for the U.K. on Wed and I get to look at what I bought in the bulk lots from a few weeks ago.

A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus, Denarius serratus,Rome, 81 BC, AR, (g 3,98, mm 20, h 11). Draped bust of Diana r., with bow and quiver over shoulder; above, bucranium, Rv. Rock, on which stand lighted altar; on l., bull; on r., togate figure holding aspergillum over bull; around, A POST A F - S N ALBIN . Crawford 372/1; Postumia 7; Sydenham 745. Old cabinet tone. Extremely fine / About extremely fine.

Lovely coin. Is that really a bull on the reverse? I know it has horns, but small ones, and it's missing another prominent feature, with which bulls are usually shown well-endowed. More heifer-looking to me. I mention this because Harlan in his new book suggests the scene refers to a specific story about a sacrifice of a heifer, brought into Rome by a non-Roman who had heard that the city of the person who sacrificed this heifer would rule the world. A clever priest managed to distract the visitor and himself (a Roman) sacrifice the beast. The bucranium on the obverse doesn't tie in so well though. Those are massive horns on the bucranium, of a very adult beast.

What do we think? Are there any cattle-lovers on list?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
For well endowed bulls, those of Thorius Balbus. Here's one in my collection.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
Anrew,
I like your story better thanks for that and I think you are right its not a bull but an ox in the catalogue it says a bull however all references of the same coin on CNG describe it as an OX so I will change it to that though an OX does mean  a  commonly castrated adult male cattle which means a bull.

I like the expression on its face as it does not look very happy with what it thinks might happen next

Here is another reference to a similar coin.

A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus. 81 BC. AR Serrate Denarius (19mm, 4.06 g, 7h). Rome mint. Draped bust of Diana, wearing single drop earring; hair drawn back and collected into a knot behind; over shoulder, quiver and bow, terminating in stag’s head; bucranium above / Togate figure standing left on rock, holding aspergillum in right hand over head of ox, standing right, lighted altar between them; A • POST A • F • S • N • ALBIN around. Crawford 372/1; Sydenham 745; Kestner 3183-5; BMCRR Rome 2836-8; Postumia 7

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
all references of the same coin on CNG describe it as an OX so I will change it to that

CNG of course gets its information from the same places as everyone else - commonly used catalogues, the same books that you or me refer to. With rare exceptions, I wouldn't suppose anyone at CNG (or at any mainstream coin dealer) is doing independent research about what this, or any other coin scene, represents, unless they explicitly say so by means of end-notes to a listing, typically identified as dealer's own opinion by being placed in italics. There are a variety of sources for descriptions: Crawford, Seaby's Roman Silver Coins (which takes its information direct from Babelon), Grueber BMCRR, each of more or less equal merit. So it's pretty much a random selection whose description any coin seller takes. It might be simply a question of the cataloguer reaching for the nearest book to hand. Indeed some older sources e.g. Smyth (Duke of Northumberland coll.) may have more merit than some modern sources.

If one were to think originally about this, or any other coin scene, how should one do so? Well, first, check what the main references to hand say. Crawford, RSC/Babelon, Grueber, possibly Smyth, Echkel, Orsini. Then consider whether the interpretations are exactly the same or differ. If the interpretations are unchanged since 1550, there's probably merit in them, and little scope for further thinking. If there are varations, then look to the arguments. Then familiarise yourself with the source of the stories - typically Livy, or Polybius, or 19th century compendiums about Roman myths - and see what makes sense, and most importantly, see does the coin image really match with the ancient literature description. Then, having done some basic research, it is time to explore new options. Anyone can explore such new options, but it's a good idea to have the basic existing descriptions, and their rationales, under one's belt in the first place, so as to argue a new idea with confidence. There are aspects of Harlan's new book that I am unhappy about (for example his proposed rationale for re-dating the coins, his SC theory, and the confused and contradictory way in which he considers hoards, all-in-all leading to very misleading dating), but his new analysis on the type descriptions contains a lot of original thinking.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Adrian - nice coin.  Congrats.

Speaking of our old friend Albinus, I'll give a shameless plug for our host Forum.  I just purchased and received yesterday from Forum the following which happens to start with your new coin: 

BK59785. Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins 81 BCE - 64 BCE by Michael Harlan, 240 pages with 144 enlarged illustrations, 2012; NEW!; $24.95

Like I said, I just received it but thumbing through it reveals it starts with several pages about Albinus and talks about your new coin too. 

Carthago

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
Off to visit family in the UK for parents 50th in the afternoon tomorrow Wed so will pick up a copy when I get back as looks a good price for it thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity