Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown byzantine half follis XX for ID  (Read 566 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
unknown byzantine half follis XX for ID
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:20:35 am »
Hi all;
I post this unknown byzantine half follis for ID.AE 20mm-W:4,8g-
Obv:Two stg crowned figures holding crosses with cross between their heads-Encrusted
Rev:XX with N in right or left? field.No traces of cross or mint mark?
I am sure 100% that the mark in N and not II
tHANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP
Regards
Nassif

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re: unknown byzantine half follis XX for ID
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:51:55 pm »
I have never seem this type before. Based on the weight I would say that it cannot be later than 616. The two figures look strikingly like Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine but the reverse is typical for Phocas, minus the N in the left field which is completely anomalous. It might belong to the category defined by Wolfgang Hahn as Moneta Militaris Imitativa, mobile mints traveling with the army and striking coins, not the official types, but rather crude approximations sometimes deviating from the norm. Of course there is always the possibility of the coin being a modern forgery; I'm inclined to say that this one is genuine but without actually holding it in my hands I cannot give a verdict. Do you know where it was found, by an chance?
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: unknown byzantine half follis XX for ID
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:28:56 am »
This coin was among a lot of unusual  items with very great rarity that i have acquired recently from old private collection ;some of these coins are in Identification section,there is also very very unusual byzantine coins that i am studying now,i hope i will put some later[there was very interesting Heraclius Follis that i posted weeks ago here and was not identified;probably Antioch under persian occupation according to MIB...].i was surprised as you by the unusual finding.The coin is heavly encrusted and in hands looks OK;i am really confused as you

All coins are guaranteed for eternity