Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crusader coin? Moneta ****twen ?  (Read 2183 times)

cjpenning

Crusader coin? Moneta ****twen ?
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:31:15 am »
Any help with this one?  I have done quite a bit of searching on the web but can't find anything that comes close.

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
Re: Crusader coin? Moneta ****twen ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:52:52 am »
Could this be a French or Italian issue?

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:01:41 am »
I can make out what looks like MONETA METAWEN (or MEATWEN), but I don't know what this could mean  ???

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:21:10 am »
It could also be MELTWEN, MELAWEN or MERTWEN, but I haven't a clue as to what coin it is, I've searched these legends online and no results so far.

cjpenning

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:34:40 pm »
It was found in England, but is assumed to be a continental coin.  Size and weight of a typical English hammered penny.

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:46:31 pm »
It was found in England, but is assumed to be a continental coin.  Size and weight of a typical English hammered penny.

Yes, it looks continental. I've also tried searching for a type similar to this one but have found nothing so far.  ???

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:31 pm »
However, I doubt that it is a Crusader coin

cjpenning

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »

Yeah, it looks later than the Crusades?

Offline Chrismon

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:30 pm »

Yeah, it looks later than the Crusades?

It may be from around the time of the Crusades, but it does not look like it was issued by any of the Crusader States.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »
That's a Danish witten or sterling struck at the Neastvig mint by Erik of Pomerania.  Apparently the two denominations have exactly the same types and differ only in size and weight (according to Bendixen).  The larger wittens are much rarer, he says, and the smaller sterlings are also known as three-pennings or engelskes.

http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=315323

Jim

cjpenning

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »
Thanks, Jim!  This has been puzzling a few of us on another forum for quite a while.

Thanks also to Trapezunt for the effort.

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:49:59 pm »
Hello,
It is a sterling (3 penning) of Naestved Mint under Eric of Pommerania ca. 1403-1412/1413.  Obv legend- (star)ERICVS:REX:D:S:R.  Rev legend- (star)MONETA NESTWED.  Obverse features a crown, reverse features a cross.  Note- The witten/hvid of 4 penning has a flower versus a star.  Your coin reference is Galster #4.

Regards,

David

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:05:14 pm »
Thanks for that information, David.  I don't have a copy of Galster.

Here's another point that might be interesting...  The king's title, REX D S N, alleges that Eric was the king of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway (the three countries were united at that time).  But that wasn't entirely true.  Margaret I, who adopted him as her son, ruled those three countries from 1376 until her death in 1412.  Eric was crowned king in 1397, but mainly to get around the problem that Denmark did not allow female sovereigns.  (Margaret had had acted as "regent" prior to that time.)  But despite his title, she actually ran things right up to her death in 1412.  Just an oddity of history.

I've always had a hard time dealing with medieval Scandinavian coins (and I gather I'm not alone on that!).  Can anyone recommend good single-volume references for dealing with the medieval issues of Denmark, Sweden, or Norway?  (David?)

Attached is a picture of my copy of this coin.

Jim

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:34 pm »
Hi all,

I have not found any paper references that covers medieval from beginning to end for any of the Scandinavian countries.  I have relied on a few websites for identification purposes. 

Denmark- www.danskmoent.dk (in Danish)
Norway- www.myntsamleren.no (in Norwegian)
Sweden- www.scribd.com/doc/56385882/David-Rucker-Coins-of-Sweden (in English)

If anyone knows of any more references, I would be interested.

David

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »
David:  Those web sites cover the material extremely well.  Thanks for pointing them out.

Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity