Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Judaea Devicta denarius added for Vespasianus  (Read 1240 times)

Offline labienus

• Caesar
A Judaea Devicta denarius added for Vespasianus
« on: November 28, 2012, 04:43:24 am »
Hi,

just added this fairly uncommon denarius with the Judaea Devicta reverse from the Lugdunum mint (71 AD). Not only due to the weight (3,28 grs) but after very close exam., this denarius doesn't seem plated at all (see David Atherton comments about this type and the high ratio of plated vs non plated). I did also like the style of Vespasian portrait (more energetic, more Roman general than usual portraits of Vespasian).
Photos from the dealer (my camera being off for a few days). Will make another one when camera is back.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90254

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: A Judaea Devicta denarius added for Vespasianus
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:27:51 am »
Wow! Your example is in better condition than mine. Really a superb coin. And I agree with you about this one not being plated.

Your coin also appears to be a die match to Alberto's specimen: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-88226

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:47:55 am »
Hello, David
thank you very much for the kind comments. I was very interested by your points about the "specific" ratio of plated/non plated for this particular issue. Is this something that could be attributed to the date/mint ? I explain myself : we are in 71 AD and in Lugdunum i.e just two years after the end of the stuggle of the civil war, Lugdunum being one of the centers of the revolt vs Nero. Any possibility that, in light of the need to mint quickly X amount/number of denarii to send the political message about the Judean revolt, there was a local shortage of silver in Lugdunum (due to the mintage of the 67-69 period) and, as a consequence, a higher ratio of plated vs non-plated (although it seems weird for a new power to do that if it wants to ensure trust into its coinage !!!!). Another question : why Lugdunum alone ?
A lot of pending questions out there ....
Thanks again. Will make new photos when my camera is back.
I do agree with the point about die match with Alberto's coin. Seems fairly close.

Best
Pierre

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:08:17 am »
I agree, our coins look as a die-match; yours is better centered though.

Congrats.

Alberto

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:41 am »
Thank you very much for your kind comments, Alberto. Until David's comments, I didn't realize effectively that our coins were "cousins". I do like the features of Vespasian on this die type.
Best
Pierre

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:32:43 am »
Yes, there a lot of questions concerning why so many of this ONE type from this specific mint are plated. I've floated the idea before that these are indeed official products and were produced by a "cheating" workshop, either for financial or for other nefarious reasons. That would certainly explain why there are many different dies of the plated type. Conversely, perhaps there was a forger (locally?) operating at the time who just produced this type.

Of course, we will never know concretely why.

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:13:46 am »
Picture (still from the dealer) changed. Looks better. Sorry, David, for the deleted comment on the previous post.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-90256

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:42:57 am »
No worries, I just left a new comment.

Judging from the new picture it looks as if it is a recent find (?).

Offline labienus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:57:25 am »
Has not been deeply cleaned, that's for sure, and as far as I'm concerned, I will keep it this way (I don't like cleaning coins). Bought from a well known dealer who bought it in a coin fair a few months ago. Apparently, the coin was kept this way for a while by the seller and I'll do the same as long as I keep it.
Thanks for the new comment.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity