Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cleaning advice please  (Read 1175 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
cleaning advice please
« on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »

i have often seen this type of look on a coin can some kind person tell me the best way to clean it please and what percentage would i be able to get off in your opinion

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: cleaning advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »
IMO its only a badly pitted coin with ,let us say, earthen deposits. Water and brushing should be enough,but I have cleaned only one coin in 50 years. So experts chime in.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »
I'm not so sure it would end up being more attractive but you do have to treat that bronze disease.
Andreas Reich

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »
Besides the "earthen deposits" which should be removed fairly easily as Benito suggests, I see evidence of bronze disease. The little blue-green spots. Curing that would be my first priority, and would probably get rid of the dirt as well :)

Not an expert in cleaning either, just adding my 2 cents ::)

~Steve

Edit; Andreas beat me to the punch  :-[

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:10:54 pm »
Could be wrong, but I recall that Helen has already expressed her interest on bronze disease and its treatment.
BTW .I own some coins with a nice green patina and some spots of bright green thats not BD.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:36 am »
I have no doubt that what we see here is BD.
Andreas Reich

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:35 am »
Does look like it. Helen can easily confirm with a pin or toothpick.

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 04:46:35 am »
This coin presents a bit of a bind.

It is clearly susceptible to BD.  It has several small BD spots showing and the pitting throughout shows that it has had problems in the distant past too.

On the other hand it looks about as nice now as it ever will.  If it was cleaned of all the dirt, but still retained all the patina, you would lose that nice contrast and be faced with a much less attractive and clearly pitted coin.  Losing the patina will make it look much worse.

Full BD treatment with Gringotts BD killer or Benzotraizol-in-ether will remove the dirt and quite possiblly damage the patina.

Personally I would look at two options.

1) Mechanicaly clean out the BD and put Gringott's BD killer only on those spots.  The challenge is that they are small spots and this needs to be done with pin and microscope for the cleaning and with toothpick or shaved q-tip for the Gringott's application.

Or, the one I would actually start with:

2) Clean out as much of the BD as you can using sharpened toothpick and small soft brush (those small gum-cleaning tooth brushes that have just a tuft of brush work well).  (Maybe clean out the BD with a sharp steel pin if you feel comfortable, but if not just the sharpened toothpick.)  Then place the coin in the oven at about 150 F for about 30 minutes to remove any microscopic water traces.   This method is not/not a BD treatment but may arrest the spread and if you then keep the coin dry and monitor it it might last for quite a long time with no more BD.  If more BD does appear then you would have to move to another option.

Shawn

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »
My concern is that there is a lot more BD under the dirt and patina, so treating the spots will only put off the day of reckoning for a little while. If our friend lives in a high-humidity area it won't take long to spread and re-appear.

I'm not sure how hard the surface encrustation is, but it probably would hold up under a good Gringott's BD Killer and DW soak and careful handling without losing the details. After it's been soaked and dried (carefully), perhaps Helen would want to post a pic and get more opinions. By the looks of things I'd probably take care of the BD first and worry about the rest later.

Best to all,

Tony

All coins are guaranteed for eternity