Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New coins coming in what do you think Sever Collection and Kenneth Day  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
I just picked up the following today,these I will get and look over when I go to England next months for the holiday and will give me something to do.
These are some of what I got today what do you think.

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: New coins coming in what do you think Sever Collection and Kenneth Day
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:52 am »
Great coins. Did you buy them as bulk lots?
Andreas Reich

Online maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:31 am »
Many, many nice coins. I would love to see some close-ups of some of these.

It would be hard to pick out the ones I would want to play with first becuase there look to be so many nice coins to choose from.

Congrats....

Martin

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:58 am »

just like being a child in a sweet shop where would you start i am ALMOST speechless and going GREEN as i type
 lucky lucky person hope you have a great time sorting through them +++ +++ +++ 

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:01 am »
Yes I love the bulk lots I wanted a lot more but limited on funds some of these I will keep and some I will send to Joe to sell for me as before.
I did get 2 other lots 2 quite large both over 100 coins,one of the lots had a Nepotian in it amongst 172 other coins I had the auction house email jpegs of the coins and though most where common I was suprised to see a Nepotian in it as it had marked on the flip $1000,they have good provenance some of these where sold off by the B.M.

So I can be asured they are all real as both of these guys where well known and respected collectors.

Some of the J.C. Denarius that turned up a few months back on Joes site where from an earlier sale related to this one.I was able to keep 2 coins sell the rest and had funds to go towards these lots
as thats the only way I can collect what I want as otherwise money just goes towards bills.

I wish I had bought some of the other lots I was after and probably in hindsite I should have done so as I would have done okay on them.

I will not see them until I go to my brothers place in the UK in a few weeks.He has some interest in flipping coins so he gave me some funds to play with so I split these with him though he gave more money I was not totally comfortable with using his money though he is worth $100 million plus so its not a big deal to him and he is younger than me.

Off to sell a house

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:24 am »
I have indetified most of them already on these lots above as I have larger jpegs of them and also most had RIC numbers which helps a lot

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:51 am »
Adrian,

The pics above represent "limited funds?"

I bet there are plenty of members who wish they had your problem ;)

What a treasure trove!

Yes, I'd like to see close-ups of these, too.

Would you let us know when they go up on FORVM?

Regards,
mz

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:16 am »
The first two lots are probably worth more than my whole collection.
Andreas Reich

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:39:46 am »
Not sure allowed to post what I paid for them on here as I have no problems letting you know and see if you think I got a good deal or not
though I think I did.

I buy and sell items as a hobby on ebay for years and use that money for my collections which my wife has no problem with as at a pinch if we need cash I can sell something.

I have been doing that for the past 20 years so getting quite good at it.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:22 pm »
I really wanted this lot also but it went over my budget look at the Hadrian bust on the 2nd coin its superb

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:17 am »
Wow, many amazing Trajans in that 2nd Lot. Congrats Adrian!

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 08:21:23 am »
On second thought that would be selling my collection short (pardon the bad pun). But I like these lots, especially the Neros. Not perfect coins but very nice condition and they should be fun to handle.
Andreas Reich

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:57 am »
I agree not perfect but as a bulk lot you can hardly go wrong and often I find they look better in hand so we will see

rick2

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 08:51:34 am »
i was in the sale room and had a look at a few lot
you will be positively surprised !

where was the nepotian ?
i missed it......   :)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
It was lot 916 here is the jpeg I got its not easy to see looks to be in poor condition though that seems the norm.
I do often find that UK collectors often grade their coins more conservatively than US collectors.

If it had been a month later I would have been their also and probably ridden down in my brothers Aston Martin DB9S

Adrian

rick2

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:48 am »
that explains why the lot went for twice the low estimate and 1.5 times the high estimate

i must admit i had a look at that lot but missed the nepotian , i had it on my list but dropped out once it went above the estimate

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:36:42 am »
I figured at just $8 a coin for all of them it was worth the price though initially I had not intended to go that high but figured what the heck

Their was also a small Theodosius II and Honorius looks to be over cleaned he had marked as rare and I cannot find anything on that is does not appear
to be a joint bust on the same size but possibly 1 of each on each side.

I think it would have been hard turning up at this one and looking at everything as you are bound to miss something.I got about 100 jpegs from them for different
lots which helped a lot as I had them a week in advance though I also most missed some of the later lots I got completely

rick2

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:49 am »
I figured at just $8 a coin for all of them it was worth the price though initially I had not intended to go that high but figured what the heck

Their was also a small Theodosius II and Honorius looks to be over cleaned he had marked as rare and I cannot find anything on that is does not appear
to be a joint bust on the same size but possibly 1 of each on each side.

I think it would have been hard turning up at this one and looking at everything as you are bound to miss something.I got about 100 jpegs from them for different
lots which helped a lot as I had them a week in advance though I also most missed some of the later lots I got completely

i did turn up and spent 3 hours looking at over 4000 5000 coins
i also looked at this lot specifically and I missed the nepotian or did not pay attention to it , i can also tell you (and probably make you happy as well) that apart from the nepotian in this lot you also had a rare roma aeterna / constantine follis

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

ric 7 roma 146-150

like this one but in better grade

i ended up buying another lot of LRB for less than your lots (a lot less per coin)  and i found 14 widows mite 1 florianus 1 eudocia 1 theod II 2 leo I but most important of all 4 Vth century monogram  , 1 was marcian and another Zeno the other two i still have not id but i m hopeful one could be anthemius

on top of that it had 20 post reform follis described as corroded , in reality the only thing that was corroded was the silvering , i ll post them when i have a chance to get some advice on cleaning

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=84088.0

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=84090.0

although my italian friends have not been able to confirm it yet

i ve noticed you got the hadrian lot , if i remember correctly it had a few province issues in  it , it had a africa sestertius , and a britannia as plus 4 or 5 others

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:48 am »
what was the lot number as I probably have the jpegs for it,I still would have liked to have been their,I also picked lot 848 though not sure why.I did like lot 850 which had 3 of Alexandria lighthouse in it I always liked that coin and kicked myself for not getting the one at the first auction as it was a nice example.Though that lot went higher than I wanted to go.

I have no specific theme but buy coins that look interesting rather than just the usual ones with deities on them.

What other lots did you get ? I just missed lot 865 but got distracted by my son and also liked lot 864

I took another look at the Honorius and its actually 2 busts on the same coin so I figured that one out.

Actually I had about 50 lots I liked but did not have 50k in cash to buy them.

I am suprised on some of these they did not sell some of the coins individually

rick2

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
i got 842 and 843 , provincial , i briefly looked at them and saw an aemilian few valerians a gallienus and a claudius II

963 from septimus severus to maximus , i hope you saw my elagabalus sestertius and the other i posted
i was surprised this one did not reach the low estimate

and 976 the LRB

i was on 864 as well , it was very nice , but it had an estimate of 400-600 and ended up at 1500£

if you came to london let me know , we can meet for a glass of water from the fountain of one of the nice parks here , as we both spent all the money :)

rick2

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
looks like you got nepotian but i might have found anthemius :)

and this is the elagabalus i fell in love with

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:17:23 pm »
wow it looks like you did better than me and this is one of the lots I never got jpegs of so I missed it,apparently you just found a monet in a yard sale.
What threw me on lots 982 onwards I assumed they where all Byzantine and did not realise that was the case until the day before which was too late to get pic
and I probably would have missed it anyway.

rick2

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
the anthemius is still tentatively attributed , it could be that or odovacer but we cant find a match and it does not resemble any of the monograms of the more common emperors

these two monograms  were also in the lot , one classified as Marcian Nikomedia mint and the other Zeno

i browsed the lot again and found 2 pontius pilate , one nero for judea , possibly a vabalatus with victory reverse , a carus not in ric and an urbs roma / constantinople mule

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »
I would never have figured out those two in a million years glad you did.My family lives some distance from Londo as they are in North Wales.
My Bro has about 500 vans on the road ,over 200 franchises and 500,000 customers if you ever see vans on the road that say Greenthumb on them thats his business.

http://www.greenthumb.co.uk/

rick2

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »
my anthemius turned out to be a much more common Zeno........

never mind :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity