Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: smoke and old flips  (Read 1291 times)

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
smoke and old flips
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »
I have some coins that are in flips with inserts that smell like cigarette smoke.
If anyone has any suggestions on these questions I would appreciate it:

1. Is it safe to say that if something was collected and flipped in the 60s and 70s that the flip should be replaced?
2. I would like to save the inserts even though they have yellowed and smell of smoke. Does anyone know of a way to get the smell out of the inserts or do I just live with it?
3. Some of the coins also smell like smoke- should I give each one a distilled water/ brush?
4. A very few seem to leave a sticky green imprint on the flip- could this be from the long time in the flip? Should these be treated any different?

Any advise is appreciated!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: smoke and old flips
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:22 am »
The flips you are describing contain PVC and are therefore not archival safe. The green sticky substance is due to the PVC in the flips with contact to the coin.

I would toss the flips. They are unsafe and smell anyway.

As far as the inserts and coins, I would personally do everything in my power to get the smell out. I would do water soaks and scrubs on the coins to see if that worked. As far as the paper, possibly a light mist of febreeze and a nice sunny windowsill?  If I couldn't get it out I would toss them but that is because I couldn't stand the smoke smell.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:04:45 am »
The green sticky stuff usually comes off after a bath in acetone. There's a well known seller here that insists on keeping their coins in non-PVC-free flips so an acetone bath is always necessary when buying from them. I have no idea if it's a gigantic older collection they've been selling for years or whether it happens so quickly to the new coins. After the bath, which may need to last a few hours, the coins will probably be dull and unpleasant to touch. This is remedied by either rubbing them between your fingers, if you can stand it and it's just a few coins or by rubbing them with a very tiny amount of oil.
Andreas Reich

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:36:07 am »
Thank you both!
I am going to try the febreeze, I really want to save the old inserts.

I am in the process of changing out all the flips.

Thank you areich, I will try the acetone baths, thankfully it is only a few.

This may take all week.. lol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity