Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another bug?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Another bug?
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:42:24 pm »
I noticed in my gallery about 20 or so coins have the "AE" in the title replaced with this symbol....

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Another bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:18:43 am »
Either it's fixed already or more likely an issue with your browser. I looked at your gallery and there were a few with the correct ligate AE, most coins just had the regular AE in the description. In each case it was displayed correctly, not like in your screenshot.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:41:19 am »
They look normal on my screen too.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:01:31 am »
I see some correct and some not, displayed on the same page. Therefore it can't be entirely a browser problem. I suspect that they way each ligate AE has been inserted into the text is different. Perhaps copied from a word processor with different fonts in use. You could try editing your text and copy and paste a 'good' character over a 'bad'.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:35:27 am »
Right, I didn't look further, here are some that are broken:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2881

I'd replace whatever character you used there with the other one that works or smply use "AE", even if it seems less refined.  ;D
When I change the encoding to Unicode, the AE is displayed correctly but there are other strange characters then, including those ligate AEs that were fine before and the dot.
Andreas Reich

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:13 am »
I've used a combination of ligate and normal AE for quite some time and this has happened in the last few months. I'll repace with the norm AE, just wondering if anyone else had this issue?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:50 am »
No, you have two different ligate AEs, one works if your browser is set to unicode:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-55177
This entry actually contains both, so only one is ever displayed correctly.

The other if it is set to western:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-87410

This may vary between browsers. I tested it in Firefox. In Chrome, changing the encoding doesn't seem to do anything. The Hadrian is always fine and the Vabalathus has a strange scharacter in the title and a properly displayed ligate AE in the description.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity