Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS  (Read 63364 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
The RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins, by Roberto Russo
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:29 am »
Yesterday I also received my copy of another wonderful new book, the single volume, hardback book edition of the RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins. As the NAC61 and NAC63 auction catalogues (that this book is partly based on) were written by Roberto Russo (1945-2012), Roberto is credited as the principal author, together with Alberto de Falco; the book represents a comprehensive revision with a great deal of extra material and many extra coins as compared with NAC61/63, with extra historical notes by David Vagi, and extra numismatic notes throughout by myself, and Richard Witschonke.

I show a variety of pictures of the book below, but I want to highlight the substantial differences between this and the catalogues that it was based on.

- It includes all the gold coins of the RBW collection which were not included in NAC61/63, as well as some other coin types that had been omitted from the original sales. Some of the sample pictures below illustrate gold, e.g. a portrait aureus of Brutus and the famed first Roman portrait gold of Flamininus, both coins of great rarity, and that were not in NAC61/63, as well as many dozen more rare gold types

- The book has been rearranged in strict Crawford order (unlike the sale catalogues) and thus will be a useful and relatively inexpensive alternative to buying Crawford's RRC, and in fact illustrates far more coin types than Crawford

- The book is in SNG format, with the pictures on pages facing the cataloguing and text. However unlike SNG volumes, it is in full colour, and as such it may be the first comprehensive catalogue presented in this format. You can see in the example below, the entire Sickle series, Crawford 26, arranged on a single page with silver, struck bronze and aes grave. Such a picture of an entire large Crawford series, in all metals, has never been seen before, and this book is full of such pages.

- Every effort has been made to arrange pictures for clarity, for example, it avoids breaking Crawford series across two pages, unless the series is too long for one page, and enlargements are chosen to illustrate varieties, in the pictures below you will see that the varieties of Scarpus denarii, are enlarged for comparison; this selective enlargement has been used throughout the book to illustrate difficult series.

- The coin descriptions have been corrected throughout; it's not well known that hastily assembled auction catalogues often have many errors; especial care has been taken to eliminate these errors; overall there are perhaps some hundreds of corrections relative to NAC61/63

- The notes written by Roberto Russo and RBW have been kept throughout the book, but in addition, there are many historical descriptions written by David Vagi (most of which were not in NAC61/63) as well as numismatic notes added by Andrew McCabe and by Richard Witschonke (none of which were in NAC61/63). Some of these numismatic notes comment on special coin types. Other notes comment on research work that is underway or will be done in future, as an example, the note on the page of Luceria bronzes that comments on future work.

- prices realised as well as estimates are shown for all coins; rarity is also indicated for scarce or rare coins. As such it provides a much better indication of actual prices and rarities than Sear's handbook

I expect this book to become a standard reference in the future. As with Essays Russo which I discussed in an earlier note, pending arrangements for distribution (especially in the US) the book is already available direct from NAC, Milan. Price USD $150 +p&p, or equivalent in other currencies, payable by Paypal or bank transfer. To order please contact NAC Milan Tatiania Granata, tatianagranata@arsclassicacoins.com

Andrew

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 10:20:14 am »
Congratulations on the publications Andrew.  I can't wait to get my copies!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:54 am »
Congratulations on the publication Andrew.  I can't wait to get my copy!

Just to further tempt you, the Vagi article in Essays Russo seems to be mostly about man-faced-bull bronzes....

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 10:29:39 am »

Just to further tempt you, the Vagi article in Essays Russo seems to be mostly about man-faced-bull bronzes....

No further temptation needed :)

I'm also very excited about Rutter's article, and I was lucky enough to see some of Campana's already.  Now I'm just wondering if I get both at once to save on shipping, in which case I would have to wait a couple more weeks.  The shipping on books from Europe to the US is insane.  I just got Jenkins' Punic for $60, and the seller paid 21 euros in shipping costs!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:08 am »
No further temptation needed :)

I'm also very excited about Rutter's article, and I was lucky enough to see some of Campana's already.  Now I'm just wondering if I get both at once to save on shipping, in which case I would have to wait a couple more weeks.  The shipping on books from Europe to the US is insane.  I just got Jenkins' Punic for $60, and the seller paid 21 euros in shipping costs!

There will likely be a US distributor in due course (with luck that will include Forum's coin shop) but that may take some time to arrange. Whilst I wrote at least a third of the pages in Essays Russo (yes ... I am very long-winded), and am an editor of Russo's RBW book, the distribution is an NAC matter.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:21 am »
Well, you've been busy! Seriously though, thanks for sharing the news of these very important releases.  While I've only recently added Roman Republic coins to my collecting interests, I can see the need for more publication of current scholarship on this fascinating series. I'm excited to order my copies!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Editorial and ISBN data for Essays Russo and RBW collection
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:24 am »
Dear Forum

In my excitement at describing the new books I omitted to provide the details of authorship, editorship etc. Here they are:

Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo
Edited by Peter G. van Alfen and Richard B Witschonke
Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG,
Zurich - London 2013
ISBN 978-88-7794-837-3

The RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins
by Roberto Russo
With the collaboration of Alberto de Falco
With historical notes by David Vagi
Edited by Andrew McCabe, Arturo Russo, Giuliano Russo, Claire Hallgarth
Zurich - London 2013
ISBN 978-88-7794-835-9

Advance copies of both books available from NAC, Milan, for $150 + p&p each, contact Tatiania Granata, tatianagranata@arsclassicacoins.com
US and other distributors to be confirmed.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Editorial and ISBN data for Essays Russo and RBW collection
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 12:27:39 pm »
Dear Forum

In my excitement at describing the new books I omitted to provide the details of authorship, editorship etc. Here they are:

Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo
Edited by Peter G. van Alfen and Richard B Witschonke
Zurich - London 2013
ISBN 978-88-7794-837-3

The RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins
by Roberto Russo
With the collaboration of Alberto de Falco
With historical notes by David Vagi
Edited by Andrew McCabe, Arturo Russo, Giuliano Russo, Claire Hallgarth
Zurich - London 2013
ISBN 978-88-7794-835-9

Advance copies of both books available from NAC, Milan, for $150 + p&p each, contact Tatiania Granata, tatianagranata@arsclassicacoins.com
US and other distributors to be confirmed.

I just heard back from NAC, it isn't available until next week :(

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Editorial and ISBN data for Essays Russo and RBW collection
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:32 pm »
I just heard back from NAC, it isn't available until next week :(

They've already been printed, I suspect that time's just to get a bulk shipment arranged from Bologna to Milan. It took 3 years to get these two books into print, running in parallel, so a week should (?) be bearable, although it's easy for me to say because I've got my copies already!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:55 pm »
Who ever writes a book or helps on one , always seeks rewards , except who partakes in a book about coins. Lucky if was not blamed.

But I would say Congratulations , Andrew for this Honor . :)
Sam Mansourati

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »
Both books sound excellent!

I can imagine that the RBW catalogue will become a useful standard reference to be consulted alongside Crawford!
Curtis Clay

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 02:31:44 pm »
Just wanted to say how pleased I am with the newish "Coins of Rome" books by Daniele Leoni. So far the series consists of Trajan, Hadrian, Nero and Septimius Severus - detailing the significanace of their coinage with wonderful illustration throughout as well as maps and original photography. A history text with well researched numismatic focus. Basically the type of book I've always thought should have been made.

I picked up my copy of Nero in the Colosseum shop of all places and possibly slightly overpriced due to the location. A wonderful pictorial journey through Nero´s life and a very fascinating read indeed.

Edit: I know, better late than never.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 09:18:15 am »
Hi Andrew,

Both books sound very interesting to me. I am somewhat interested in Roman Republic coins. I have Crawford.

Please let us know when there is a US distributor, especially if Forum is one.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 08:11:09 am »
I hope there is a US distributor soon.  The titles, with shipping, equal 145 euros each, so the shipping charges amount to about $100 for the two books!  FYI, they are now available from NAC at the address Andrew provided above.

I want these badly, but unfortunately I cannot justify the $100 in shipping fees, so I'll have to wait for a US distributor, I think :(

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
I was wrong, if one buys both books the shipping is 47 euros, so roughly $65 USD.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 09:57:39 am »
The books are in from the printer and available for purchase according to NAC.  I just received confirmation of my order and paid for it today. 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:39 am »
Quote from: carthago on April 02, 2014, 09:57:39 am
  I just received confirmation of my order and paid for it today. 

Me too.  I couldn't wait around for a US distributor and from what I gather that might be a long time away!

Can't wait to read your work, Andrew.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 11:43:53 am »
Apparently $65 in shipping fees means fast service.  I received my copies today!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »
 ;D  +++

You are better off than me then, I had to bring my copies to show my mum on mother's day's, where of course they were held for safe-keeping, so at the moment I don't have a copy of either book. Enjoy!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:33 am »
I've received some nice off list comments via PM from people who have bought either Essays Russo, or RBW. The books are indeed being delivered.

One question was asked on the numbers at the end of each coin listing: they are: estimate / price realised (hammer) in Swiss Francs. The estimate is there for more than decoration - Roberto Russo paid careful attention to the estimates and they reflect the minimum that he considered each coin to be worth in a normal auction market environment. Some of the silver sold for very frothy prices, and some of the bronzes, due to the great numbers offered, were unsold, but the estimate was, in Roberto's opinion, somehow a fair indication of minimum long-term value for both.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
Just received mine.  It's a beautiful book and a quick look through it shows McCabe's footprints all over it.  

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 05:51:23 am »
I received it yesterday as well - I already had the NAC 61, 63 catalogues (though not the Triton III where most of the gold was auctioned off), but this is clearly in a different league. Very pleased with the purchase! Love the SNG-type composition, makes for wonderful and easy reading-looking. Will be an invaluable companion to my Crawford.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 10:51:56 am »
I was going to wait a month or two before ordering my copies, as I'm still paying - off some recent coin purchases, but you guys make it difficult to resist. I just ordered both books!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 10:59:53 am »
You'll be glad you did.

My only complaint, and it is a very small one, is that the RBW book does not have a table of contents, so if I wanted to look up a specific moneyer's coins, say, L. Sempronius Pitio, I'd have to know chronologically when his coins appeared.  A moneyer-specific index might have solved this problem too.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 11:58:05 am »
I expect the RBW book to serve as a companion to Crawford. As long long as the arrangement follows Crawford, the lack of an index shouldn't bother me too much.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity