Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seleukid on the block : Alexander Balas  (Read 1369 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Seleukid on the block : Alexander Balas
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:44 am »
After a long long run of Athenian New Styles I couldn't resist this dated tetradrachm of Alexander Balas to add to my other 6 Seleukid royal portraits.

Actually he was an usurper and had no royal blood but claimed to be the son of Antiochos 1V, ( he called himself Theopator, meaning "He who his father is God"..the cheek!), and became the Romans and Pergamenes choice for the Seleucid throne after Demetrios 1 Soter looked to be a too capable a ruler.

He killed Demetrios in battle and settled down to a short life of debauchery ( he also called himself Euergetes, meaning benefactor...really was deluded),!. But ,of course, in his turn Demetrios' son came for the throne and Balas got killed himself. Not a good time for the Seleukids!

This coin is dated in the exergue :Greek_Stigma: :Greek_Xi: :Greek_Rho:  (166) of the Seleukid era that translates to 147/6 BC. Also a mint mark  :Greek_Phi: is there also.There is also a mint mark of  :Greek_Theta: inside a  :Greek_Delta: in the inner left field at Zeus's knee height.

I have looked in acsearch and CNG research but cannot find the exact modern SC references. Any offers ?

Thanks for looking,

Cicerokid

PS
Nikos has supplied the following translation of the titles and epiphets and the whole legends reads ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ ΘΕΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ , translated as " of King Alexander, Benificent son of a God ".

Thanks Nikos
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Seleukid on the block : Alexander Balas
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:39:53 pm »
What an expressive portrait.  Very nice.

Offline marylannin

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »
Your coin is listed in Seleucid Coins as SC 1784.8i, from Antioch on the Orontes.

Mary

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:40:17 am »
Thank you very much for the reference

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity