Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: scales  (Read 1337 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
scales
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:19:53 am »

i need to buy some scales i dont want to spend hundreds of pounds but dont want cheap inaccurate ones
 any suggestions will be gratefully recieved it may be good to have them portable but not really a priority as i dont think i will travel with them as i dont go to auctions ect

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: scales
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
What Joe showed you is what I use from here at the Forum.  When I get a coin in, I ID and describe it, weigh it, and I have the calipers Joe sells to get the diameter.  I go through this process even if it is well described by the dealer.  The scales Joe sells are accurate, inexpensive, and mine have held up for a good long while so far. 

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »
I am considering (finally) buying a scale.  Joe currently has two models in inventory:  an American Weight Precision Scale for $40.00, which is discussed below in this chain, and a Diamond Series A04 Pocket Scale for $15.00.  Both are stated to be accurate to .01 g.  Does anyone have any experience with the Diamond Pocket Scale?  I see no reason to spend $40.00 if I can spend $15.00, all other things being equal...

Stkp

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:52 pm »
I'd go for the $15 scale myself.  Bought one for about $10 years ago.  works fine.  Only measures to tenth of a gram but that's fine for my purposes.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »

I have good experience with the $15 scale. It takes some time to
steady after coin is dropped and the last digit may change when
writing down.  15 - 20 coins can be weighed in one minute, if you
write the result on paper.

Pekka K

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 02:30:51 pm »
For all "normal" purposes the one Forum sells and some similar clam-phone type German ones are absolutely fine.
One should remember, however, that a 2-decimal scale is accurate to the first one, a 3-decimal to the second one etc. If  - for some odd reason - one wants to have three decimals of a gram accurately, a scale capable of doing 4-decimals is needed. When we go that far, the situation becomes far from simple. Air pressure is a factor and so is the volume of a coin. The Law Archimedes is said to have invented has to be taken into account, meaning that the weight of the air displaced by the item is to be accounted for. For this reason the accurate scaling weights are made of certain metals and one has to take into account the height from sea level of the place where the measurements are done. Mass and weight are different things.
I have done many such measurements and it appears clear to me that getting three decimals of a gram consistently correct for a coin is very difficult and requires special conditions - no movemnet of air is essential, just as an example.
s.
Jyrki Muona

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:58 am »
Our $40 scale is much better than the $15 scale, but much less portable. Unfortunately, I think we only have one $40 scale left and perhaps zero when you read this, and production has been discontinued. The $15 scale is typical made in China - seems amazing for the price, but don't expect it to last a lifetime.

Our coin descriptions include the weight to 3 decimals (1/1000s). Including three digits is intended to make it clear that the first two digits are accurate (anyone who actually cares probably understands that). We actually use scales that indicate 4 decimals. One of them has a glass box over the pan to prevent air movement. The other one does not but it is a more expensive scale and seems to be just as accurate without the glass. We calibrate them now and then. When weighing a coin, the 4th decimal rarely locks on a single numeral, but usually the 3rd steadies on one or two numerals. When we re-weigh coins they are often the same to the third digit, but definitely not always, especially if weighed on a different day. When we weigh a coin that has a previous weight recorded by someone else, the third decimal rarely matches. Perhaps that is because they were at a different elevation.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:35:56 pm »
Thank you, Joe, Jyrki, Pekka and Bill.  I decided to go for the $40 scale.  SHK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity