Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:14:45 pm »
mm 19  -  mixture

I need reference and name of coin.

Thank

ser

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 05:06:32 pm »
Ser,

i believe this coin is a "quattrino" struck by the mint of Viterbo since i seem to read S.LAVREN .... D. VI.....
Muntoni 67 or 68 (CNI 19 or 10).

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:56:02 pm »
Ludwigv:

You neglected to tell us what’s really good about this coin.  It is a product of the mint of Viterbo, a small town perched on top of what looks like a butte out of Montana.

How can you tell it’s from Viterbo?  St. Lawrence, martyr, feast, August 10, is the patron of Viterbo.  He was roasted over a slow fire on August 10, 258, during the golden days of Valerian I [253-260].  What did he do to merit such a toasty death?  When the magistrate ordered him to deliver the Church’s treasures, he brought a flock of poor people into court and declared:  "These are the treasures of the Church."

The judge was not amused.  He was condemned to be fried slow.  While cooking, he held out a well done arm to the judge and said:  "Do you want something to eat?"  Valerian heard about this and was even less amused than the judge.

The King of Persia may have done the same thing to Valerian I in 260.  I wonder if the Emperor had a come-back-line as good as Lawrence from Viterbo’s.

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity