Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484  (Read 1561 times)
Rugser
Deceased Member
Caesar

« on: February 17, 2004, 06:14:45 pm »

mm 19  -  mixture

I need reference and name of coin.

Thank

ser

tacrolimus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:06:32 pm »

Ser,

i believe this coin is a "quattrino" struck by the mint of Viterbo since i seem to read S.LAVREN .... D. VI.....
Muntoni 67 or 68 (CNI 19 or 10).

Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)
Follibus Fanaticus
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:56:02 pm »

Ludwigv:

You neglected to tell us what’s really good about this coin.  It is a product of the mint of Viterbo, a small town perched on top of what looks like a butte out of Montana.

How can you tell it’s from Viterbo?  St. Lawrence, martyr, feast, August 10, is the patron of Viterbo.  He was roasted over a slow fire on August 10, 258, during the golden days of Valerian I [253-260].  What did he do to merit such a toasty death?  When the magistrate ordered him to deliver the Church’s treasures, he brought a flock of poor people into court and declared:  "These are the treasures of the Church."

The judge was not amused.  He was condemned to be fried slow.  While cooking, he held out a well done arm to the judge and said:  "Do you want something to eat?"  Valerian heard about this and was even less amused than the judge.

The King of Persia may have done the same thing to Valerian I in 260.  I wonder if the Emperor had a come-back-line as good as Lawrence from Viterbo’s.

Follibus Fanaticus

Follibus Fanaticus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop