Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 2 JUNE Layaway and reserve are not available during the sale. Shop now and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING UNTIL 2 JUNE Shop now and save! Please support Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484  (Read 1497 times)
Rugser
Deceased Member
Caesar

« on: February 17, 2004, 06:14:45 pm »

mm 19  -  mixture

I need reference and name of coin.

Thank

ser

tacrolimus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:06:32 pm »

Ser,

i believe this coin is a "quattrino" struck by the mint of Viterbo since i seem to read S.LAVREN .... D. VI.....
Muntoni 67 or 68 (CNI 19 or 10).

Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)
Follibus Fanaticus
Consul

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:56:02 pm »

Ludwigv:

You neglected to tell us what’s really good about this coin.  It is a product of the mint of Viterbo, a small town perched on top of what looks like a butte out of Montana.

How can you tell it’s from Viterbo?  St. Lawrence, martyr, feast, August 10, is the patron of Viterbo.  He was roasted over a slow fire on August 10, 258, during the golden days of Valerian I [253-260].  What did he do to merit such a toasty death?  When the magistrate ordered him to deliver the Church’s treasures, he brought a flock of poor people into court and declared:  "These are the treasures of the Church."

The judge was not amused.  He was condemned to be fried slow.  While cooking, he held out a well done arm to the judge and said:  "Do you want something to eat?"  Valerian heard about this and was even less amused than the judge.

The King of Persia may have done the same thing to Valerian I in 260.  I wonder if the Emperor had a come-back-line as good as Lawrence from Viterbo’s.

Follibus Fanaticus

Follibus Fanaticus
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Pope SIXTVS IV (Della Rovere) 1471 - 1484 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop