Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unusual BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣMAXOY?  (Read 2183 times)

mkalex

An unusual BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣMAXOY?
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:29:09 pm »
I've seen quite a few of these on the internet, but not one exactly like this...
It is silver, heavy (in good shape) and 28mm in diameter.
I got it from my grandmother!

Any information would be helpful... i.e. is it worth anything?

mkalex

Re: An unusual BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣMAXOY?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »
Hmm... I searched the Wildwinds DB for this, 100's of images, yet none are exactly like this.
Does it mean it's from a mint or a different era?

--MK

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:05 am »
It's not unusual to not find a particular combination of field marks/monograms. A nice and genuine coin and certainly worth something though the general type is by no means rare. I don't know if yours may be a rare variant but that rarely influences the value significantly. Generally discussion of values and prices here is frowned upon.

Here's a very similar one:
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=570706
Andreas Reich

mkalex

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
Thanks Areich,

You are amazing!
This one is the closet I've yet to see!
The only differences being the hair on Alexander's neck... and on the flip side, my Nike is raised just a bit higher and has a bit more detail. The "M" near Athena's knee is a bit different as well. Even the glyphs at her feet are very similar, though they remain a mystery to me.

Thanks again,
--MK

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:21 pm »
Your coin is a posthumous issue of Kios (Bithynia), in the name and types of Lysimachos.
What follows is another example of the same variety.  (same symbols and monograms)

KINGS of THRACE. Lysimachos. 323-281 BC. AR Tetradrachm (16.99 gm). Kios mint. Struck after 281 BC. Head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon / BASILEWS LUSIMACOU, Athena seated left, holding Nike in her extended right hand, left arm leaning on her shield; club in outter left field, monogram in inner left field, bow in bowcase and AG monogram in exergue. Meydancikkale 2668; SNG Berry 451; Müller -
(CNG)

...This one is the closet I've yet to see!
The only differences being the hair on Alexander's neck... and on the flip side, my Nike is raised just a bit higher and has a bit more detail...

Keep in mind that such minor differences in style between coins of the same type and emission are normal. The many different dies were hand made by a variety of artists.

mkalex

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »
Thank you Rover,

This is exactly it!

--MK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity