Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Guide to Biblical Coins Hendin 1987 Edition- conversion to later ref.numbers.  (Read 5275 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi all,

My copy of "Guide to Biblical Coins" by David Hendin (purchased from him way, way back) is just a tad out of date - it is the 1987 edition. Would anyone be able to advise me of a chart to convert these old reference numbers to the new ones.

All the best,
Col

P.S. my copy of the GBC is the FIRST EDITION.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
I used to have a little online converter, however, my site has been offline for awhile. 
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
I just haven't goten around to learning the new Hendin numbering system from GBC5.  For the area I collect (Herodian & Procurator, mainly) I have everything memorized and my coins labled according to GBC4.

So I went and made up a spreadsheet as a cross reference between the two versions.  While I have checked it, I may still have missed something being incorrect. 

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies BUT

Aarmale - you get me all excited that you had the conversion and then you tell me it has gone to the great beyond and is no longer available.

cmcdon0923  - I'm afraid that your memory is better than mine - I have enough problems in remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday - also - I did say that my copy of GBC was from way, way back. I had better clarify that - it is from way, way, way, way back. In fact it is the First Edition so there are possibly a few conversions between it and your GBC4.

In any case the conversion between #4 and #5 will be very handy. Thank you.

I'm still hopeful that someone has a conversion for those of us who date back to (but can't remember) the Good Old days.

All the best,
Col

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Dear Col
send me your address , I will send you a free copy of the 5th Edition, just pay the postage if you are interested :).
this will make it easy so you dont forget.
best.
Salem Alshdaifat
 :Judean_mah_3: :Judean_lam_2: :Judean_alef_5: :Judean_shin_1:

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Salem,

To say that I am interested is a bit of an understatement.

I would like very much to take you up on your offer. At the moment I seem to spend hours trying to identify each coin - and then usually have to place it in the Forum for you to identify. It has become a bit easier since you placed the three Forum entries "Learn ancient Hebrew script on Hyrcanus I...Jannaeus...Aristobulus" but I still have problems.

My address is
Col Davidson
2 Goldfinch Way
Orange 2800
Australia.

Thank you again,
All the best,
Col

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I have discovered two errors (there may be more), but not between GBC 4 And 5, but with TJC.  Current GBC 1059 is TJC 16, and GBC 1060 is TJC 15.  Hendin has them switched in his concordance.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies BUT

Aarmale - you get me all excited that you had the conversion and then you tell me it has gone to the great beyond and is no longer available.

cmcdon0923  - I'm afraid that your memory is better than mine - I have enough problems in remembering what I had for breakfast yesterday - also - I did say that my copy of GBC was from way, way back. I had better clarify that - it is from way, way, way, way back. In fact it is the First Edition so there are possibly a few conversions between it and your GBC4.

In any case the conversion between #4 and #5 will be very handy. Thank you.

I'm still hopeful that someone has a conversion for those of us who date back to (but can't remember) the Good Old days.

All the best,
Col

Don't know if you are still interested, by my site is back online with the converter:
[Removed]
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi AArmale,

I tried your conversion link out - and it's a beauty.

It is going to be very handy as there are lots of bits of older entries on the Internet that quote these early references which previously made it very hard, if not impossible, to convert or even find.

You should get this set up on the permanent area so that everyone realises that it is available.

However - old codgers like me, who purchased Hendin's first edition when it first came out, will have a few problems with it for that edition as only a few references of edition #1 tee up with #2.

But it will be very useful to me as I seem to be spending hours trying to identify my items - and this conversion will help me pick up just that many more references on Google (instead of searching only for, say,Hendin 1190 - I might now be able to get older mentions by checking for the same coin under Hendin 501 and Hendin 56).

Thanks again.
All the best,
Col

All coins are guaranteed for eternity