Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ultimate form of coin non-conservation  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Ultimate form of coin non-conservation
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:50:45 pm »
I think I threw a coin out in the trash today. With the packaging debris. It's an irretrievable situation because the trash went into a community compacter.

I'd like to write more about the subject, but I think there's nothing more than can be said.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Ultimate form of coin non-conservation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:50 pm »
I think I threw a coin out in the trash today. With the packaging debris. It's an irretrievable situation because the trash went into a community compacter.

I've been mentally retracing steps. I was unpacking the coin and had got as far as tearing through the brown two-sided card sandwich and was about the pull out the coin in its holder when the phone went. Afterwards, my mind was on completely different things. I recall at some point sweeping all the torn-open debris (torn padded envelope, torn card sandwich, unopened invoice etc) into the bin and then bringing it to the garbage.

I never even got to see it, nor am I certain what the coin was.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »
  OUCH i am hoping it is still on the floor you have to hope when something so awful happens hoping  it is not a rare one
 do you have a list of purchasers what i am saying is that will you know in a couple of weeks which coin it was likely to be??????

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »
I never even got to see it, nor am I certain what the coin was.

Hopefully it wasn't anything too expensive!

No dumpster diving allowed then?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »
In a few thousand years some archealogist  is going to have a field day, or be really confused, when they excavate an ancient dump site !!!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:55:49 am »
Ouch!  I feel your pain.

I remember coming out of the house we currently live in on the day our stuff was delivered and finding an LRBC on the driveway.  The drawres of a small platic tool parts cabinet that served as my uncleaned coins holder had shaken loose in a box and the box had developed a hole in the bottom corner.  To this day I wonder if any others fell out.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity