Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Rare Probus?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Another Rare Probus?
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »
Another Rare Probus?

Interesting Not in RIC, Not in Probus info and this revers legend are not exist , exerg SXXT are Ticinum,
I found same revers but SOLI INVICTO legend ...

any idea ??

my openion are not listed???

Probus_AE-Ant_
IMP-C-M-AVR-PROBVS-AVG_
OR-IENS-AVG_
S-XXI-T_
RIC-?????
Ticinum ???
axis-0h_
22-23mm_
3,55g

regards
quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
Re: Another Rare Probus?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:31:36 am »

Very interesting and enigmatic coin.
For Probus, ORIENS AVG Sol in quadriga galloping left is known on the rare quinarii from Rome mint, RIC 267, but this coin is obviously from Ticinum. This obverse presentation could be usually seen with SOLI INVICTO legend.

Teutoburgium

Offline Julianus of Pannonia

• Consul
  • "VICTORIOSO SEMPER"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:18:01 am »
Hi Quadrans,

This is a fascinating and very rare type form Ticinum.

In the publication une campagne Germanique de l'empereur Probus ( S. Estiot ) is listed only one spcimen, visible on the plates which seems to be from the same dies.
I have to check if the coin ist listed in RIC....

Congratulations on this rare acquisition!

Regards,
Simon

http://www.hisoma.mom.fr/numismatique/PDF/Probus%20Ticinum%20%28S.%20Estiot,%20colloque%20Pflaum_2006%29.pdf

SEstiot

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23:19 am »
Hello, Jozsef,

You wrote to me you were not a collector specializing in Probus's coinage... What would it be if it were the case  :)

Yes, the type is unregistered in RIC.
Simon gave you the link to my study of Ticinum, issue 3, where this ORIENS AVG reverse type appears (tables p. 238-239, in my tables, a grey cell shows the types unlisted in RIC).

- IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG radiate consular bust l. : I know one more specimen since the publication of my article in 2006, so 1 in Vienna, 1 in Munich and yours (which is from the same pair of dies as the coin in Vienna)
- VIR/TVS PR/OBI AVG radiate, helmeted bust l. seen from rear, holding a spear and a shield  (not illustrated in my study, but referenced to in table p. 239) : 2 specimens, British Museum and a private collection, same pair of dies, same reverse die (pics attached here)

To sum up : 5 coins (3 with consular bust, 2 with helmeted bust) ; 3 obverse dies (2 with consular bust, 1 with helmeted bust) ; only one reverse die : I don't think there has been more than this unique ORIENS AVG  -/-//SXXT reverse die ever produced.

You certainly noticed that on the reverse Sol was radiate and nimbate : it is specific to the mint of Ticinum under Probus : see the thread discussing the image of Sol nimbate, and the plate of examples from Ticinum I posted there : 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=79409.0

Another rarity... Congratulations,

S. Estiot

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »
Thank you Teutoburgium a Simon and Sylviane to the nice comment

regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity