Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sd card holder?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
Sd card holder?
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »
Would it be safe to use a clear sd card holder to keep your coins in?
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Sd card holder?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 04:28:47 pm »

It might not be. Recall the scares over non-safe plastic coin-flips many years ago. Those plastics contained chemicals that degraded, especially in warm or humid environments. When they degraded they gave off vapour which, when combined with the water vapour in air, turned to acid and completely destroyed coins. Hence the switch to safe plastics such as mylar, which are much more brittle than older plastics but don't give off acidic gas. Unsafe flips could turn a coin from ok to a heap of dust in weeks.

Any other plastic holder, that is not specifically intended for coins, including those mainly of hard plastic,  might contain some unsafe plastics: the lining, the external cover, the backing etc. I had a look at pictures of some SD card holders. Some seem to include mixed materials, sometimes including some softer plastics, which generally post a higher risk. You just have no idea whether any custom folder, intended for a different purpose, is safe for coins or not, without knowing the chemical make-up of its plastics. So best probably to stick to solutions marketed by coin accessory firms.

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:52 pm »
i will put a slug in it and post the results... thanks! :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:17:30 pm »
ps mine has the recycle symbol with a 5 in the middle :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:

It might not be. Recall the scares over non-safe plastic coin-flips many years ago. Those plastics contained chemicals that degraded, especially in warm or humid environments. When they degraded they gave off vapour which, when combined with the water vapour in air, turned to acid and completely destroyed coins. Hence the switch to safe plastics such as mylar, which are much more brittle than older plastics but don't give off acidic gas. Unsafe flips could turn a coin from ok to a heap of dust in weeks.

Any other plastic holder, that is not specifically intended for coins, including those mainly of hard plastic,  might contain some unsafe plastics: the lining, the external cover, the backing etc. I had a look at pictures of some SD card holders. Some seem to include mixed materials, sometimes including some softer plastics, which generally post a higher risk. You just have no idea whether any custom folder, intended for a different purpose, is safe for coins or not, without knowing the chemical make-up of its plastics. So best probably to stick to solutions marketed by coin accessory firms.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:24:27 am »
ps mine has the recycle symbol with a 5 in the middle :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:

That means it contains mostly polypropylene and is designed for holding hot liquids. Although instinct suggests that anything suitable for hot liquids must be very inert and not prone to degradation or vapours coming off, it still does not guarantee it is safe for coins - your mostly-polypropylene sd card holder might include coatings, covers, padding or inserts in different materials. It might or might not be ok. You could do a visual check to see if it is only made of a single type of hard plastic (generally when it comes to plastics, soft is "bad" where coins are concerned as it indicates the presence of volatile softening materials sometimes called plasticisers). Or you could buy some archival quality coin holders:

Supplies

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=861&pos=0#Coin Collecting Supplies

All coins are guaranteed for eternity