Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Found in Hungary  (Read 628 times)

jobuzo

Found in Hungary
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »
We went out the other day with a metal detector and found these two coins. One is in decent shape and one in rough shape. Can anyone identify them?

Thanks

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Re: Found in Hungary
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »
Hi;
First coin: I think it is an  :Greek_epsilon:in field right, but pic is hard to tell
Siscia
RIC VII 17, :Greek_epsilon:  Licinius I AE Follis. 315-316 AD. IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG, laureate head right / IOVI CON-SERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, chamlys across left shoulder, leaning on sceptre, Victory on globe in right hand, eagle with wreath to left.  :Greek_epsilon: to right, dot SIS dot in ex.
Ray
Raymond Carson

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:33 am »
I wonder about the second coin, it almost looks like a barbaric copy of a late Roman Imperial? With the hole punch it is difficult to tell but the characters look like Latin analogues, or even blundered script. Anyone else see what I am seeing?
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline Skyler

• Consul
  • JOHHNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:06:23 am »
 Welcome to Forvm Jobuzo
 Second might be Claudius II Gothicus,  Fides although I agree that the legend is odd, fides militum doesnt match.

First one is a Beauty, GREAT JOB finding that one!

Offline helcaraxe

• Caesar
    • Coins available
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:42:30 am »
Nice find, so far outside the Roman Empire. They should be reported, if possible, to a suitable archeology/numismatics departement a university or so, to maybe allow publication along wit other finds of Roman coins in Ungary - something like this exists in Hungary.

The Claudius Gothicus with the central hole might have been used for decoration purposes.

Semper pax
helcaraxe

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03:03 am »
Nice find, so far outside the Roman Empire
Large parts of modern Hungary lay within the Empire (Pannonia eg)

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity