Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius denarius with modius  (Read 467 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Antoninus Pius denarius with modius
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:04:19 pm »
I have recently obtained a relatively early denarius of Antoninus Pius that I thought worthy of sharing.

Antoninus Pius Denarius
Obv: IMP T AEL CAES HADR ANTONINVS, bare head right
Rev: AVG PIVS P M TR P COS II P P, Modius with three corn ears.
Minted in Rome. A.D. 139
Reference:– BMC 79 (4 corn ears and poppy, L. A. Lawrence). RIC III 40 (corn ears and poppy). RSC 103.

There is what appears to be a die break in the reverse right field.

The RIC coin cites Cohen and is described as "corn ears and poppy" whilst the BMC coin is from L. A. Lawrence and is described as "4 corn ears and poppy". This coin doesn't show the poppy as per the BMC/RIC examples and only shows three corn ears. I know that these are minor details but worth noting.

I have not been able to find any examples for comparison on the usual online resources.

Regards,
Martin

[CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE]

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Antoninus Pius denarius with modius
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »
The rare issue of c. spring 139 with P P but before the contraction of the legends, that I discussed a couple of months ago when I acquired a similar sestertius but with P P at end of obv. legend instead of on reverse.  

Modius is a new type in this brief issue, which had not been struck in the preceding issue without P P.

Strack 38 lists this denarius only with four wheat ears and poppy in the modius, three spec. in Sofia (presumably ex RD hoard) and two more in Berlin and Vienna.

Same type in following issue with obv. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, rev. TR P COS II:

Strack 46, either 4 wheat ears and poppy or 2 wheat ears and poppy in modius.

Same obv., rev. TR POT (instead of just TR P) COS II,

Strack 59, the same two types, or 4 wheat ears without poppy, or a variety I wrote in from Berk stock 2002, 3 wheat ears alternating with 2 poppies.

So Strack and I seem to be unaware of your variant with three wheat ears!

Reminds me of an As of Trajan sold on eBay on 31 July 2012, where I was surprised to see a poppy between four wheat ears in the modius at Annona's feet, though I didn't take the time to investigate in detail how common or rare this might be!
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Antoninus Pius denarius with modius
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:24:51 pm »
Many thanks for the response Curtis. It is full of vital information as usual. I don't have Strack and the confirmation that this would appear to be a slightly unusual variant not known to Strack or yourself is great and makes me glad to have posted the coin in the first place.
Regards,
Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity