Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleopatra exhibit at California Science Center through december  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Fallen Horseman

• Praetorian
Anyone in the LA area with a fancy for Egyptian artifacts and coins should really check this exhibit out. Went there over the weekend and they have lots of really stunning statues, a good assortment of everyday Ptolmaic & Roman Egyptian Artifacts and alot more coins than I was expecting. Quite a few gold staters and silver tetradrachms on display from alot of different eras. Only funny thing I noticed was 2 roman bronzes that had been stripped of their patina and most of their detail of Caracalla and Julia Domna listed simpley as "Bronze Roman coins: 33BC-275AD" :P

Still a great display of stuff any one of us would love to have though and a good way to spend a few hrs on a saturday or sunday if any of you are interested!

http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/Exhibits/SpecialExhibits/Cleopatra/Exhibit/Exhibit.php
"I am King of the Romans and above grammar."

~ Sigismund

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Cleopatra exhibit at California Science Center through december
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:45 pm »
FH,

Yes, I am committed to taking my wife down there once sonny boy gets back to school in mid-August.

Sorry to hear that the Roman artifacts are so limited but glad you mentioned it so that I won't be disappointed when I get there and grouchy on the way home.

Thanks!

mz

Offline Fallen Horseman

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:23 am »
I believe they had a decent bronze of Augustus in the same case as well but I don't remember any other ROMAN coins. Plenty of Cleopatra coins though as one might guess! It's worth the price of admission alone for the artifacts recovered underwater at Alexandria alone and they have quite a bit of footage of them being raised from the ocean which is very interesting to see. ! They have an IMAX movie there for it too but I didn't get a chance to see it. If you see it let me know how it is!

Chris
"I am King of the Romans and above grammar."

~ Sigismund

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:39:40 am »
I have tow amazing Cleopatra coins that I am keeping for my self, even though she was ugly and fooling around from a man to another  , but she was the last of the Ptolemaic dynasty , and the start of the Roman era in Egypt.
Chris: it is the Mediterranean sea and not an Ocean .
best.
Salem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity