Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Εβίβα! Let's have a numismatic toast!  (Read 10098 times)

Taras

Εβίβα! Let's have a numismatic toast!
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »
Attributes of Dionysus are found on many coins of Mediterranean ancient cities. The god is sometimes portrayed directly, with youthful features or as a mature bearded man, sometimes in full figure, standing, sitting, reclining on the back of a donkey, ecc.
On other coin issues, instead, he is evoked indirectly through images:
- of his attributes: the thyrsos, a bunch of grapes, grapevine leaves, ecc.
- of characters in his cortège, such as satyrs and maenads
- of wine vases used for storing the beverage, for pouring it, or for drinking it.

It would be fun to build together an inventory of all greek coins on this topic.

Nicola

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Εβίβα! Let's have a numismatic toast!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »
From my collection :
Islands off Thrace, Thasos AR tetradrachm, 164/3 – 160 B.C.
Wreathed head of young Dionysos right.
ΗΡΑΚΛΕΟΥΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ ΘΑΣΙΩΝ, M inner left field, Herakles standing left, holding club and lion skin. 16.81 g, 35 mm.
Prokopov Gruppe VI 88. V F1 – R 75, Weber 2534 (same obverse die), SNG Lockett 1240 (same dies), Nomos 3 lot 43, 10 May 2011 (same dies).

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 04:22:55 pm »
Cilicia, Nagidos AR Stater
(385-375 BC)
Obv.: Aphrodite seated, holding phiale over altar, Eros standing behind, crowning her with wreath.
Rev.: Dionysos holding grape bunch on vine and thyrsos.
SNG France 21.

Cilicia, Nagidos AR Stater
(400-385 BC)
Obv.: Aphrodite seated, holding phiale over altar, Eros standing behind, crowning her with wreath.
Rev.: Dionysos holding grape bunch on vine and thyrsos, A in wreath to left.
Casabonne type 4, Lederer 26.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 04:29:37 pm »
Not perfect but beautiful in my eyes. Patina damaged but quite stable.

Lydia, Sardeis, Dionysos / Zeus, 19mm
time of Vespasian
19mm, 3.9g
obv: EΠI - ΦΛ EICIΓO - NOY; bust of Dionysos wreathed in ivy
rev: CAPΔIANΩN; Zeus Lydios standing left with scepter and raven, torch to left
SNG Leypold 1194; SNG von Aulock 3138; BMC 65; SNG München 3137
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:08:16 am »
Not Greek, but let us not forget the good old Roman Republicans some of whom were very much in the spirit and and philosophy Dionysos as evidence by the coinage of Lucius Marcius Censorinus with the reverse image of Marsyas walking left, holding wine-skin over shoulder .  Why raise a glass when you can raise a wine-skin? That I can relate to! Marsyas was regarded as a symbol of political freedom, particularly free speech and we all know how free speech becomes under the influence of Dionysos.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:51 pm »
From Athens: THYRSOS,with ribbons attached
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »

Athens, once again: Vine leaf & bunch of grapes

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »
Alexander AR Drachm, Chios mint, with a grape bunch...

And another Thasos tet :)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
A big one AE 33. Not in the best of conditions but difficult to find much better. Interesting with references to games,the sea , plus Dyonisus his panther and his grapes.
CILICIA, Corycus. Valerian. 253-260 AD. Æ 33 mm. AU K PO OUALERIANOC, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / KWRUKIWTWN AV NAVAPXIC, Dionysus standing left, holding kantharus and thyrsus with panther at feet, next to him a prize crown with caduceus, palm, and aplustre set on tripod, QEMIC on crown.  SNG France 1122;  SNG von Aulock 5686.

The presiding deity of the Themian games was the goddess Themis, personification of Justice and Order, who had been the patron of the oracle of Delphi before Apollo. Qema also means a deposit, usually of money, and the Themian games were unusual in having cash prizes for the winners, unlike the more typical awards of wreaths, wine, oil, or celery.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:38:47 pm »
Here's one of mine.  An AE that is actually one of my favorites.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »
Dionysos of the east as depicted on the first CuNi coinage in the easternmost outpost of the Greek realm: Baktrian Kingdom, Agathokles I, ca. 175-165 BC, Copper-Nickel Dichalkon - Mitchiner 147b  Note the thyrsos over his left shoulder, not seen on the portrayals posted thus far.

More details and history: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82686

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »
My "morning after" coin:

Maroneia, Thrace
189 - 145 B.C.
Bronze AE 22
6.87 gm, 22 mm
Obverse: Head of Dionysos crowned with ivy right
Reverse: Dionysos standing left holding grapes in right and cloak and two stalks of narthex in left, MAPΩNITΩN to right

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:15:01 pm »
another Cheers! from Ancient Rome.
A denarius of Titia from 90 BC Rome.
Obverse has a young Bachus and the reverse has pegasus leaping to the right.
The Pegasus looks like it could have been the model for one of the floats in Andrew's parade posting  :)

Interestingly the other denarius in this series has a similar reverse but Mutinus Titinus or Priapus on the obverse.
The As has a Janiform head that looks suspiciously like Mutinus Titinus or Priapus to me as well.
The quinarius sort of breaks the pattern by using a winged victory for the obverse.
I get the feeling the Titi were a rowdy bunch...

Taras

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »
"I am Dionysus, the son of Zeus... my mother was Semele, daughter of Cadmus, midwived by lightning's blast".
With these words Dionysus, one of the most complex deities of the Greek Olympus, introduces himself to men in Euripides' Bacchae. This tragedy espouses the most accepted version of the mith, according to which he was born from the love of Zeus and Semele, daughter of the King of Thebes.
Deceived by her divine lover, who had assumed a Human appearence to seduce her, the woman was incinerated by the revealing of his true semblance after following jealous Hera's treacherous advice to ask him to unveil his real nature to her. But the child that Semele carried in her womb lived on, because Zeus sowed the fetus in his thigh and brought the pregnancy to term.
This prodigious mythical event is bringer of a message of hope and rebirth for the worshippers of the God, thus his cult was linked to funerary practices.
Through this second birth, which grants him immortality, the god who "is born twice" or "of the double door", epithets by which he is known in the ancient world, becomes a granter of salvation to those who embrace his cult and partecipate in its rites. The rites of Dionysus were mistery and initiatory rites. They were often celebrated at night in the woods, in touch with luxuriant and wild nature. Through its cyclical death and rebirth, nature was one of the tangible manifestations of this complex and changing god, who was gentle and benevolent, a consoler of human affliction, but could also be cruel and violent against those who resisted him.
The popularity of the cult of Dionysus is reflected in  a great number of vase paintings and coin types. In keeping with the deity's mutable character, his outward appearance also underwent a metamorphosis over time. The solemn bearded figure of the archaic period, clad in a chiton and cloak, and usually depicted in a static attitude or advancing majestically astride a mule, gives way, in more recent types, to a beardless, almost androgynous young man. This more humanized iconography, with its erotic and symposial connotations, allowed ancient viewers who believed in Dionysus and his promise of eternal beatitude to identify with his image.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »
I've got one more. I'm ashamed to say that I don't have a single proper Greek coin with Dionysos.  :-[

Lydia, Silandos, Silen / grapes, AE15
time of Septimius Severus(?)
15mm, 1.79 g, 11h
obv: wreathed head of Silenos right
rev: Grape bunch; EΠI • A • AV-MAIOPOC around
SNG Aulock -; Lydische Stadtmünzen -; SNG Copenhagen -; BMC 10 var. (legends); SNG Leypold -; SNG Tübingen 3828 (different magistrate); SNG München -

I found one.

Cilicia, Nagidos, Aphodite / Dionysos, obol
ca. 420-380 BC
9-10mm, 0.70g
obv: head of Aphrodite left
rev: NAΓI; bearded head of Dionysos left
(SNG France 2 , 11)
Andreas Reich

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »
What is not proper about this one? It is a beautiful coin engraved in excellent style. Just because it was struck during Roman times does not make it any less Greek!  :)

Taras

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53:11 pm »
What is not proper about this one? It is a beautiful coin engraved in excellent style. Just because it was struck during Roman times does not make it any less Greek!  :)

I agree.
I think the Greek world did not totally vanish with the Roman conquest, but continued to evolve in regional contexts, certainly influenced by Roman culture, but still Greek.

An extreme OT divagation... There are countries in southern Italy, where even today some of the dialect words are clearly in ancient Greek, and where Christians even today celebrate rites that are identical to rituals for the deities of ancient Greece. Nothing completely disappears in history, everything is stratified

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 05:17:38 pm »
I like them, I was just afraid someone would kick me out of the thread;D
This is my best one:

Phrygia, Laodiceia ad Lycum, Dionysos / mask of Silen, A20
AE 20, 5.48g
under Antoninus Pius, magistrate P. Ailios Dionysios Sabinianos
Obv: ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ; draped bust of Dionysus right, with ivy-wreath
Rev: ΑΙΛ - ΔΙΟΝV - CΙΟC; mask of Silenus with ivy-wreath lying on cista mystica, around which a serpent twines, with both tail and crested and bearded head right; at left, pedum over which a pair of cymbals hangs
BM 96, pl. 35,6 (same obverse die). SNG Copenhagen 532

Ex Dr. Stephen Gerson Collection, ex Gemini 2010, lot 623
Andreas Reich

Taras

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »
I use the areich's post to write something more...
My writings are taken by the catalogue of the exibition "La Vigna di Dioniso", Taranto 2010.

In some rituals in honor of Dionysus, the cultic actions revolve around a mask, made of the wood of specific sacred plants (grapevine, olive) and painted red or gold. It has a flowing beard and mustache, and wears an ivy wreath. These manifestations hark back to the most archaic forms of Dionysian workship. The cult of the mask is associated with the performing of dithyrambic poetry and licentious songs in honor of the god.
The complexity od Dionysian cults is also reflected in the iconography of the god. He is often exclusively represented by only the mask, which draws the attention of the viewer to its face and gaze. The mask was not meant to be worn and was never used in theatrical performance.

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 06:09:05 pm »
Now that is a truly stunning coin Andreas. One could not hope for a better example.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II., Nikomedia mint(?), 183-149 BC.,
Æ 22 (22-23 mm / 5,95 g),
Obv.: head of Dionysos right, wreathed with ivy.
Rev.: BAΣIΛE[ΩΣ] / ΠPOYΣIO[Y] , centaur Cheiron walking right, playing lyre with both hands, waving chlamys behind him; no symbol or monogram in lower r. field.
Waddington, Rec. Gén. 1/2, 225, 26 ; cf. BMC Pontus pg. 211, 14-15 ; cf. SNG von Aulock 255-6 var. (monogram) ; SNG Cop. 635ff var. (monogram) ; Sear GC 7266 .

:Greek_Alpha:

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 05:34:51 am »
Fantastic coin Arminius.  Very nice portrait of Dionysus and nice and interesting reverse.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:44 am »

EPEHESOS 138BC ,

This is a good example of the very common and hastily produced Cistophoric tetradrachm, the bearded (hence supernatural),snake sliding out of the cista, the basket, all surrounded by an ivy wreath.
I know it has got something to do with Dionysian mysteries but what I do not know.

Cic

Taras

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:52 am »

EPEHESOS 138BC ,

This is a good example of the very common and hastily produced Cistophoric tetradrachm, the bearded (hence supernatural),snake sliding out of the cista, the basket, all surrounded by an ivy wreath.
I know it has got something to do with Dionysian mysteries but what I do not know.

Cic

The Cista, in addition to being a common everyday life object, also served a ritual function connected with the cult of Dionysus: it was called Cista Mystica, used to hold the sacred snakes to be used in rituals for the god.
Why snakes?
Nonno of Panopolis in his poem from V century b.C. "The Dionysian", wrote that serpent induced Dionysus to taste for the first time the grapes.
From Euripides' "Bacchae" we know that Maenads handled snakes during the rites.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 09:07:06 am »

EPEHESOS 138BC ,

Cic

The Cista, in addition to being a common everyday life object, also served a ritual function connected with the cult of Dionysus: it was called Cista Mystica, used to hold the sacred snakes to be used in rituals for the god.
Why snakes?
Nonno of Panopolis in his poem from V century b.C. "The Dionysian", wrote that serpent induced Dionysus to taste for the first time the grapes.
From Euripides' "Bacchae" we know that Maenads handled snakes during the rites.

Thank you very much,Taras

Cic

All coins are guaranteed for eternity