Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bracteat? Gotland-Sweden?  (Read 902 times)

mordor

Bracteat? Gotland-Sweden?
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:04:45 am »
Can anybody give any attribution? The stile of the image reminds me about early issues from Gotland-Sweden.
The coin seems to be one-sided.

Offline WelfIV

• Consul
Re: Bracteat? Gotland-Sweden?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:30:48 am »
Hi,

what metal is it?
From the photo and according to the patina it looks like bronze or a similar base metal.

Peter

mordor

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »
I have no means to be sure but visually I can say that the content of silver is very low or there is no silver at all.
Visually the material reminds the coinage of lets say- Reval under Sweden in 1570s.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »
When you say it's one-sided do you mean that the other side is blank or that it's an incuse version of the obverse side?

I've never seen a bracteate with a neat and precise dentillated border like yours.  Very, very odd.  I really wonder if it's a monetary item at all.  Just wondering, what's the diameter and weight?

Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity