Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Antoninus Pius Alexandrian tetradrachm  (Read 656 times)

Offline tjaart

• Consul
Help with Antoninus Pius Alexandrian tetradrachm
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »
Hi all,

I recently purchased this tetradrachm and I am having trouble getting a proper attribution. I know it is Antoninus Pius with Elpis? standing left. What bugs me is that I can't figure out which year it is based on the reverse legend. According to Emmett, Antoninus's obverse title only ended in NOC in years 3-5. Does this make it a variation of Emmett 1383?

Could anyone help me out?

Thanks!!
Tjaart

TRPOT

Re: Help with Antoninus Pius Alexandrian tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
I don't have Emmet but I do have Milne, though I'm not great at using it.

I think your coin may be Milne 1938

obv:
ANT :Greek_omega_small:INOC C :Greek_epsilon:B :Greek_epsilon:VC :Greek_epsilon:B
laureate head, r.

rev:
L :Greek_epsilon:N  :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon:KATOV
Elpis stg. l

Year 11

meh... Greek letters not working right for me

ANTWNINOC CEBEVCEB

LEN DEKATOV

something like that, but the W is actually  :Greek_omega_small:

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:32:32 am »
Thanks TRPOT, but I have my doubts.

If you look at the obverse legend, my eyes tell me it ends in -NOC whereas your attribution end in -CEB. Thus it seems to place my coin in year 3-5 of his reign. But all the results I found online have the reverse legend in the following format:

LEN  :Greek_Delta: EKATOV with the  :Greek_Delta: between Elpis's arm and her head,

where mine is

LEN  :Greek_Delta:EKATOV (same as the one you posted) without the space between the :Greek_Delta: and EKATOV and the legend only starting after Elpis's head.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Tjaart

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:28 am »
The obverse reads down the right side first, then up the left side, according to Milne, so the obverse doesn't really end with NOC.

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:12:01 am »
Tjaart:

The obverse is Milne type k2. Milne doesn't have the same matching reverse inscription placing with this obverse type: Milne 1946 obverse/ Milne 1938 reverse (I can not tell if there is a dot after the L-- if so then Milne 1945 reverse).

TRPOT's comments on the inscription are correct.

Iwaniw

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:53:51 pm »
Thanks for the explanations, Iwaniw and TRPOT. I appreciate it a lot. I think it is time for me to acquire a copy of Milne as well...

Thanks again!

Tjaart

TRPOT

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:24:40 pm »
Just so you know, the obverse type that iwaniw corrected me on has the same legend that I listed. The difference is in the bust type. (bust r., laureate, wearing  cloak and cuirass, shown from the rear). I fully agree with his attribution. It is a variant unlisted in Milne. Perhaps you can find it in Emmett if you look. (I don't know. I don't have that book and, in fact, have never seen it either)

It is still year 11

Offline tjaart

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:42 am »
Thanks TRPOT. Just ordered myself a copy of Milne to study a bit. It's quite exciting to have an unlisted coin :)

Tjaart

All coins are guaranteed for eternity