Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: To clean or not to clean this piece of ancient glass  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
To clean or not to clean this piece of ancient glass
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:48 am »
Hello Friends!

I just got this beautiful piece of ancient glass from FORVM.

Here's FORVM's listing:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=32591q00.jpg&vpar=1636&zpg=38031&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

I had a couple of questions for the experts related to cleaning this little gem:

1) Should I clean it at all? I haven't tried to remove any of the deposits but some of it has flaked off just from handling.

2) If I can and should clean it, how is that accomplished? DW soak like the coins?

There are some little adhesive tags with written numbers on it probably related to cataloging that I'm sure would fall off if it went into the soak. It might be nice if those could stay where they are just as an artifact of this piece's provenance. Take them off, clean and then replace them? (As a nice little extra, Mr. Malloy's original catalog tag was inside. I fished it out with tweezers!)

On the plus side, there seems to be some really pretty iridescence underneath the adhesions that you can't see too well that would look nice on display. 

Also on the plus side, despite having some cracks, this is a heavy piece that seems to be solid.

Clean it or leave it alone?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,
mz

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: To clean or not to clean this piece of ancient glass
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
Hi Mark,

Do not clean it please !

you loose the iridescence immediatelly and all of the antic feeling .

I do it one time and after I was very sad...... :'(

regards
quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »
q,

Is the iridescence on the inside or outside, or is it within the fabric of the glass?

If it's on the inside, would I be able to soak it on the outside only?

Thanks!

mz

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »
Hi Mark,

The iridescence is alot like patina. A chemical reaction between the glass and the minerals in the soil. It can be on the inside or outside or both. Usually more so on the outside. Some "modern" glass collectors use vegetable oil to reduce the flaking of the scaley iridescence. I tried it once and am not totally convinced of the benefit :-\

My, less than expert opinion, is to lightly rub the loose flakes off with a soft, dry cotton cloth, then leave it alone!

Like the patina of a coin, the iridescence shows it's ancient nature and authenticity IMO!

I think it is beautiful as it is!

~Steve

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:17:56 am »
Steve,

I admit that I was still waffling but you tipped me in the direction of "do not touch."

I had flaked off a little of the outside stuff with my thumbnail as an experiment but between quadrans' and your advice, I think will leave it as is.

Thanks, my friend, and thanks to you, too, quadrans! :)

Regards,
mz

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:40:37 am »
You are most welcome!

~Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity