Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 1340 times)

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Help needed
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:13:02 am »
When I bought this coin some years ago it was just fine.
Obviously there was alot of moisture where I stored it and it became like this :(
Taking into consideration that I have zero knowledge and experience in cleaning coins, is there a -relatively- easy and simple way to remove the green deposit off my coin without destroying it?
Thanks in advance

tk

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:48 am »
Joma-

Can I ask where and how you were storing it?  Was it in a flip?

If so, make sure you use pvc free flips.

I'd start with brushing the coin with a toothbrush to see if the encrustations come off.  If they do and they look powdery, you might want to read up on bronze disease to further evaluate the coin and then treat it with Gringotts Mix #1 to stop any possible bronze disease.

If it doesn't come off with brushing, soaking the coin in distilled water for a couple of days.  Scrub with a toothbrush on the encrustations.  If the look to be coming off, repeat the process a couple of times until you're happy with the result.

The points to remember are don't overdo it and take your time.

If the green isn't moving with the toothbrush you may want to see if the encrustations will come off by using a pin to gently pry at them.

If it's still not moving, then try Gringott's anyway as it should help loosen the crusty stuff.

You can buy that here from Joe in the coin supplies section along with pvc free flips.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »
Thanks Dino!

tk

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »
this looks like a bad case of bronze disease it might be helpful to scrub it gently with a toothbrush until it is gone then seal it with renaissance wax or paraffin :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:41 am »
Ave!

I see zero BD.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »
I agree with Kevin, it does not look like BD.  Maybe you just forgot how it looked before?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:44 am »
This is how it looked when I bought it a few years back.
I tried the suggestions as well but nothing changed :(

tk

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:19:46 am »
I Still don't think it has BD and the big difference between then and now is the lighting of the photo. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:53 am »
Ave!

I Still don't think it has BD and the big difference between then and now is the lighting of the photo. 

Joma, all you're seeing on the obv is thick green patina...but, now that we can the the reverse, you do have a small spot of DB as circled in red, the rest is fine.

You can easily cure the disease with BD Killer by only applying the liquid to the spot with a q-tip, rather than soaking the entire coin, which will remove all the patina.

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »
Thanks Joe and Kevin

much appreciated

Thomas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity