Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antiochus IV before and after  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Antiochus IV before and after
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
Well, I'm done for now. I took a gamble on this coin and I think it came out pretty nice.  Any comments that might help me do better in the future are appreciated.  I'm terribly impatient and that is not a good quality when cleaning ancients.

Also, does anyone know what the red encrustation is on the reverse at the end of the trunk? My concern is the stability of the metal.  It almost reminds me of a red BD.

Thanks,
             Nemo

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Antiochus IV before and after
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:51:41 pm »
Nemo,

IMHO, I think you did an exceptional job. Clearly, you have enhanced this coin's appeal immensely.

Also, the serrated flan, the portrait, and reverse design are all winners in my book.

Congrats, nice job!

-Kurt

Offline abcoin

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:07 pm »
Agreed!  The coin is much improved because of your effort.  Care to share the method(s) you used to clean this piece?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:22 am »
The red encrustations should be cuprite. 

They are stable BUT are one of the first places where BD can start from so keep an eye on them.

They also can cover damage below and removal can sometimes reveal ugly pits.

Beautiful job on the cleaning.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:16 pm »
Thanks for the kind comments.  I did a white vinegar soak over night then several nights of DW. After each soak I used a dental pick under a cheap magnifying glass to scrape away the encrustation and then tooth-brushed it.

I had never heard of cuprite before, I'll keep an eye on it.  I baked the coin at 150 for about 5 min to get the moisture out after finishing working on it. 

Nemo

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:07:25 am »
Ave!

Nemo,

Are you sure with your final cleaning?

I think your coin could be improved.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:48:03 pm »
Its a nice coin Nemo and I agree with otlichnik that if the red deposit is cuprite the coin could have some risk for BD. Keeping it good and dry should be sufficient for prevention.

Dave

Copper has two states only one of which is completely stable in air. Stable copper oxide is black. Cuprite (red copper oxide) is the less stable form but absent moisture it will be OK.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
Ave!

Nemo,

Are you sure with your final cleaning?

I think your coin could be improved.

Best,

Kevin

Kevin's probably right.  Looks like some of that red mineral scale that remains on the reverse (near the elephant's trunk as discussed above) was successfully removed from the obverse (near 8 o'clock on the 'before' photo) and could likewise be 'gone' from the reverse.  Slow and patient so as not to mar the real surface but some of small amount of the gray/green/black that remains looks like stuff that was successfully removed elsewhere, too.

The coin is obviously a *lot* better than when it started and Nemo has nicely shown that chemical cleaning (vinegar is an acid) is sometimes helpful dissolving and softening ancient mineralized hard crud and leaving the bronze underneath OK.

PtolemAE

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »
I would continue the cleaning if I had a better magnifier/lighting setup.  Any suggestions?  I fear if I go any further with my current setup ($2.99 magnifying glass and a lamp for light) there is a real risk of scratching the coin.  The encrustations are quite hard and my main tool has been a dental pick.

I really appreciate the suggestions,

Nemo

Edit: On a side note, does anyone have an idea of what the indents directly in front of the portrait are?  I can't find that in any other example.  Almost like a brockage of the border.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:59:50 am »
I would continue the cleaning if I had a better magnifier/lighting setup.  Any suggestions?  I fear if I go any further with my current setup ($2.99 magnifying glass and a lamp for light) there is a real risk of scratching the coin.  The encrustations are quite hard and my main tool has been a dental pick.

I really appreciate the suggestions,

Nemo

Edit: On a side note, does anyone have an idea of what the indents directly in front of the portrait are?  I can't find that in any other example.  Almost like a brockage of the border.

a stereomicroscope with built-in light is probably the most important coin cleaning tool :)

next best might be one of those lighted desk magnifier lamp combinations.

you are indeed better off stopping than risking damage to the coin if you can't see what you're doing clearly.

PtolemAE

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:47:02 am »
Quote from: PtolemAE on August 16, 2012, 02:59:50 am

a stereomicroscope with built-in light is probably the most important coin cleaning tool :)

I looked online and there is quite a variety to choose from.  I found this one, 20X Stereo Magnification, for $179, it has a boom so there will be more room underneath to work.  Any suggestions?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:13:07 am »
Nemonater,

Looks interesting.  Mine is more traditional lab-style stereo microscope and cost about the same.  I like the boom set up and the attached light on the one you posted.

Which manufacturwer?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:22 pm »
Now THAT'S a lamp! Not bad on the price, either.

But if you're like me and are somewhat limited in the discretionary income department, maybe you'll consider an alternative:

- magnifier lamp ($20 - $30)

- Dental pick set ($30)

- Cordless Dremel and soft brushes and bits ($80 - $100)

- Gringott's #1, #2, and BD Killer ($30)

That way, you have pretty much what you need to clean for the same amount of money. Plus, the more cleaning options you have the better off you'll be.

Just a suggestion.

Best,

Tony

All coins are guaranteed for eternity