Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE coin - Lots to go on, but no luck on ID yet!  (Read 557 times)

Offline Jamie R

• Praetorian
Greek AE coin - Lots to go on, but no luck on ID yet!
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:14:08 pm »
I've had this coin for a few months, and have searched for an attribution for more hours than I care to admit, so now I'm here for help.

It's bronze, 20 mm in diameter, 2-3 mm in thickness, and it's from a seller in Israel.

OBVERSE: The obverse has a older male bust facing right, clean-shaven and sporting a short haircut with whispy bangs somewhat like Pompey the Great. There's a small tripod symbol under his chin on the right. On the left is a square countermark with perhaps a stylized tripod or bee or something. There is a dotted border.

REVERSE: It looks like Athena standing left with her left hand leaning on a shield and her right hand holding up a small Nike who in turn carries a little circular wreath. A Greek letter  :Greek_Phi: is visible in the right field. Around the edge, there is a Greek legend, but it's very difficult to read. Above the Nike, the letters  :Greek_Omega: :GreeK_Sigma: are clear. At 8 to 9 o'clock, there are other letters almost legible -- but not.

With the portrait on the obverse so clear, someone must have an idea, no?

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Greek AE coin - Lots to go on, but no luck on ID yet!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »
I've had this coin for a few months, and have searched for an attribution for more hours than I care to admit, so now I'm here for help.

It's bronze, 20 mm in diameter, 2-3 mm in thickness, and it's from a seller in Israel.

OBVERSE: The obverse has a older male bust facing right, clean-shaven and sporting a short haircut with whispy bangs somewhat like Pompey the Great. There's a small tripod symbol under his chin on the right. On the left is a square countermark with perhaps a stylized tripod or bee or something. There is a dotted border.

REVERSE: It looks like Athena standing left with her left hand leaning on a shield and her right hand holding up a small Nike who in turn carries a little circular wreath. A Greek letter  :Greek_Phi: is visible in the right field. Around the edge, there is a Greek legend, but it's very difficult to read. Above the Nike, the letters  :Greek_Omega: :GreeK_Sigma: are clear. At 8 to 9 o'clock, there are other letters almost legible -- but not.

With the portrait on the obverse so clear, someone must have an idea, no?

Hazarding a wild guess, portrait and presence of countermark remind me of Lysanias, Tetrarch of Chalkis, 1st C. BC.

PtolemAE

and it looks like that was pretty good for a wild guess:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/syria/chalkis/BMC_06.jpg

sure looks like this same coin type.

Offline Jamie R

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:30 pm »
Fantastic! I was going batty just browsing the portrait of every ruler in the ancient world just to figure out who the heck that was. Many thanks.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:17:19 am »
Fantastic! I was going batty just browsing the portrait of every ruler in the ancient world just to figure out who the heck that was. Many thanks.

The distinctive portrait, countermark, and reverse design activated a memory trace 'on sight', having had one a while back. Always good to try and identify coins yourself but when all else fails the eyes and memories of folks on this discussion group combine into a pretty powerful coin-recognition system.  I suspect almost every type of ancient coin has been studied by at least one person on this forum.  I'm often amazed at the speed and accuracy of this group's participants - the closest thing to a 'living reference book'.

Lysanias lost his kingdom to Marc Antony who 'gave it' to Cleopatra.  The coin's appearance and story are both memorable.  It's not super-rare but neither something you see every day.  Glad to help.

PtolemAE

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:41 am »
A shame that it was so badly cleaned but that's a great portrait.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity