Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maltese coin?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Maltese coin?
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:06:13 pm »
Hello all,

This coin was part of my Grandfather's collection.
Obviously the cross is Maltese, there appears to be numerals set within the corners of the cross, "1" and "7" seem to show.
The reverse is worn smooth however.

Weight is 1.79 grams, dimensions are 16.5 x 16.5 x 0.8 mm

Thank you.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Re: Maltese coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
Hello,

I believe you have a Grano (20 Grani = 1 Tari) of the Order of Malta.  The maltese cross is the reverse with the date in the angles of the cross.  The obverse is five cresents with the ruler's name around the edges.  I believe the ruler is Emmanuel Pinto (1741-1773), and the coin would have been minted from 1743 to 1773.  The reference is Standard Catalog of World Coins, Order of Malta C#1.  Hope this helps.

David

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Re: Maltese coin?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
Thank you very much David, it is perfect help.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity