Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How long is a Diamond Dusted Tool last ?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
How long is a Diamond Dusted Tool last ?
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »
I bought my Diamond Dusted Lasco G2 pick, less than six months ago, and its pretty much useless at this point.

Not much abrasion left.

How long are these picks suppose to last ?

I have used it pretty lightly too. Propably less than twenty coins.

Is this normal or should I be getting ready to litigate ?  ;D

Very disapointed for what you pay for them.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: How long is a Diamond Dusted Tool last ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:46:54 pm »
I bought my Diamond Dusted Lasco G2 pick, less than six months ago, and its pretty much useless at this poin

PM Lucas. He'll only charge you a Flavian denarius   :evil:

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:47:08 am »
Maybe it is worn down.

But another possibility is that it is clogged with dust and gunk.  Have you tried to wash it out, soak it in soapy water, then brush the surface with a brass brush?  With luck you may be able to revive it.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
Yes. I have washed with soap and water.

I have looked at it under a microscope, and it looks worn.

Very disappointed in that it lasted so little.

Seems that it is just not worth buying these if for the cost, if they last so little.

As I mentioned above, less than twenty coins, and very little on those.

I have always stored in its blue sleeve, so that it did nto rub against any other tools.

I would like to hear from other owners what kind of life spans they are getting.

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
I bought one last summer and I think it is about due for replacement.  I haven't tried washing it out or made any moves to replace it yet, but it just feels worn - uneven wear, it leaves lines so I haven't been using it.  I have probably (over)cleaned about 30 coins with it.  I was a little disappointed with it wearing out so soon, but I will try rinsing it out after I get home to see if it helps.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »
I was just wondering how the diamond dust is applied to the tool.

If it is attached with some sort of adhesive, is it possible that the adhesive is the culprit?

mz

EDIT: Apparently the diamond dust is applied with some sort of bonding agent. Maybe it's the agent that is breaking down?

Offline Aktina

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:11 pm »
That is a good point about teh bonding agent. However based on the money spent on these picks, it seems that we should be getting better quality and longevity.

Another alternative that I am thinking of using, is 1/8" Diamond tool bits mounted on a pin vise.

One get buy a whole set of 20 diamond dusted tool bits, 1/8" from harbor Freight for $8.

Seems that this would be a more economical way to get there.

The HF # i am looking at is 40547.

As much as I love the tool, if I have to drop $35 plus shipping every 6 months, it does not make much sense not to try this pin vise method for $8.

I wonder if anyone else has gone this route ?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:30 am »
I bought the DDDP #1 and #2 about 4 or 5 years ago.  They still seem good today but the fact is I hardly use them.  I use scalpel and pins to clean and the few times I am grinding down something I will use a scalpel as often as the DDDP so I am afraid that my experiences don't really help with determining life-span.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:39 am »
I am little late to the party. Two babies and the new job are demanding. Wish I had more time for coins. I am actually laying in bed and should be sleeping. Anyways...

I use diamond bits in a pin vise. These can be gotten from dentist catalogs and should hold up pretty well. I refused to pay for some and my dentist friend hooked me up. Then another friend here helped me out as well. What is nice abou the bits is that they seem cheaper in price and have a wide variety of sizes. My dental grade ones work well. Just remember, the finer the grit the more often you need to clean out because they clog.

These will get burnished themselves though. It is a fact of them. Just like sandpaper on wood they wear out. Sandpaper doesn't last very long either. Also, the intention of these tools were for use on teeth not metal coins.

Let us know how the HF ones do.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:09:38 am »
Ave!

I bought my Diamond Dusted Lasco G2 pick, less than six months ago, and its pretty much useless at this point.

Not much abrasion left.

How long are these picks suppose to last ?

I have used it pretty lightly too. Propably less than twenty coins.

Very disapointed for what you pay for them.

Aktina,

DDDP's should last you for a couple of years, when used properly. Mine do and I clean lots of coins, trust me.

Question: When you say you're press lightly, how hard is that? (Yes, DDDP's can be used a scrubbers, but that is not what they are really for.) Just barely touching the coin's surface, or pressing down? Are the coin's you're cleaning damp or dry? What type of patinas are you cleaning? All this matters. Reply and I'll try to help you out and ease your pain.

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity