Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Republican COTD's  (Read 829 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Republican COTD's
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:38 am »
I show the recent acquisitions to my collection below, without comment. Some are terribly rare: with less than 10 known examples (one of my new bronzes is the second published; one of my new silver coins  the fourth known; one of the aes grave is one of three known examples). They are all of the highest rarity. None were expensive given their rarity. For example the nicest denarius below sold for less than 5% of the price of the previous example sold (only two prior sales have been recorded in the last 100 years). Bargains all around.

Andrew

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Republican COTD's
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:57 pm »
Nice finds, Andrew.  Which of the aes graves is the ultra-rare one?

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »
Wow, a real Gaius Antonius denarius:o  Outstanding!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »
Nice finds, Andrew.  Which of the aes graves is the ultra-rare one?

The triens. 3 head-right Trientes in Haeberlin, against hundreds of head-left (he gave up counting after a few hundred but it wouldn't be difficult to find 1000 examples). The head-right is also notable for having no obverse value mark.

Wow, a real Gaius Antonius denarius!  :o  Outstanding!

It's fairly good (pretending modesty!!), but the Caius Antony is probably the least rare of the silver coins in the above group.

The head-left Piso Frugi: 4 are known, including this example (plus a few others with another control mark, less than 10 in total). The last one at auction, in NAC 54, which was the first head-left sold since since 1933, fetched CHF 28,000.

The Murcus: much rarer than Caius Antony

The Scarpus Quinarius: I am not sure if one has EVER appeared at sale, other than this example. Probably fewer than five known.

Of the bronzes:

V Uncia: this is the second published example, and it is a splendid one.

L.Tituria Sabinus Quadrans: one of the enigmatic Apollo head quadrantes (why on earth does it have a head of Apollo rather than Hercules?) There are none in Paris, none in Hannover, and a totally destroyed example in London. This the second published example so far as I am aware.

If I could make one point: Collectors perhaps complain too much about the high price of coins, when, if they did their homework, they might get splendid bargains on rare and special pieces in obscure series that the speculators have just no idea about. All these coins were sold at public auction, and many were sold at collector-friendly prices. For example I paid a few hundred dollars for each of: L.Tituria Quadrans; Scarpus Quinarius; the rare Aes Grave Triens. The V Uncia was even cheaper. The (CHF 28,000 value) Piso Frugi cost me barely 1000, and the other (EF and rare) Apollo-head quadrans about the same. The other three coins (Caius Antony, Murcus, Wheel As) sold at about their estimate at a sale where countless coins sold for 10 times estimate. Possibly my cheapest coin was one I paid 40 francs for (about $40), which I think is unpublished (although it is a dull variety so I don't show it above). I would advise collectors to read, read, read, so as to know what is good when it comes up for sale.

P.S. the opposite happens when I sell coins. I recently sold an extremely rare L.Pl.H sextans, only a few known, for GBP 10. It sat unsold online for about a week until I told a few friends that they might have to wait a half-century to find another example and surely it was worth 10 quid??? One of them bought it, probably out of pity for me (after all it was the price of 1 beer, and I think I deserved a beer). Someday, someone might actually want this rare coin...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity