Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Teddy Bear  (Read 839 times)

Offline Dave R

• Praetorian
Roman Teddy Bear
« on: June 14, 2012, 09:06:18 am »
Dear All.

This coin is a bit chewed but there are a few clues.

The reverse has what looks like a man grabbing a large teddy Bear with his left hand on the right there seems to be a spear and various letters.

The obverse has a right facing Emperor.

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Re: Roman Teddy Bear
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:50 am »
Hi Dave,

He is holding a labarum and dragging a captured prisoner (often described as a barbarian one). These type of coins were common during the later empire, Valentinian I & II, Valens, Theodosius, etc. I can't make out which emperor from the pic but hopefully this helps.
cheers,
mcbyrne

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:18 am »
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:19 am »
                 Alright, I think it's time I tried to help someone else. These guys help me on a regular basis. I think that this is one that i can do. I'm not going to give you the answer precisely, Rather i'm going to steer you in the right direction by deciphering what i See:

I've filled in what i think I see on the Obverse. I could only see the right half of the Legend, but i've done some comparisons and think that the Left side is correct. If you can read my hand writing, that should be your obverse legend.

On the reverse, I've circled the Mint Mark and Officina at the bottom in Exergue. This can help you a lot in ID

What my Arrow points to is another mark that I forgot what they call, but sometimes you can use this to find out enough to put your attribution over the edge. if you look on Wildwinds.com, I think you'll find another example of your coin.

If i'm wrong (And I could be) i'm sure these guys will be quick to let me know. In that case, we'll both learn something, Right?

rick2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 11:35:41 am »
SMH ?

for me

for heraclea

Offline Dave R

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »

Thank you everybody for your help you have helped point me in the right direction. Here is a link to what I think it maybe, and a very interesting history to the coin.     :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=51819q00.jpg&vpar=478&zpg=63909&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Offline ego sum malum

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:45 pm »
SMH ?

for me

for heraclea

It could be. Hard to see without the coin in hand. Perhaps it's hard to see even with the coin in hand.

Dave, I think you're on the right track, but the example that you linked to was made elsewhere from your coin. It's probably either SMH like Rick says, or SMN like I say. Heraclea (Eregli, Turkey) or Nicomedia (Izmit,Turkey). It's pretty certain that your coin was minted in Turkey. The one you linked to was minted in Siscia (Sisak, Croatia).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity