Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Carausius dated reverse  (Read 1016 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
A Carausius dated reverse
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:47:01 pm »
Hi,

I've just added a new, extremely rare, dated coin of Carausius to my collection to make three in total. Sadly it is not possible to confirm the RIC attribution of TRP IIII that RIC gives to 188 (citing the BM specimen that too is off flan). My other example of this type is clearly TRP II.

Carausius 287-93
Antoninianus
Obv"[IMP] CARAVSIVS PF AVG"
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev "PM TRP [II? (or IIII?) CO]S PP"
Emperor togate seated left in curule chair
Camulodunum mint
-/-//C
RIC 188

Regards,

Mauseus

dupondius

Re: A Carausius dated reverse
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:32 am »
---------------

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
Re: A Carausius dated reverse
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:01:06 am »
A really nice find Mauseus.  I really do like the seated reverses on the Carausius coins.  I went to the Denver coin show a couple of weeks ago looking for some more Carausius coins but had no luck, saw one poor condition Salvs and a slighly overpriced PAX so I will just keep looking.  So since you have three of these dated reverse ones will any of them show up in your sales???? 

Great  Find again
Regards
Pete Peters

All coins are guaranteed for eternity