Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hard at work (photography)  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Hard at work (photography)
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:51:54 am »
For all those who have seen me online a lot in the last week or two (replying for example to the Bacchius Judaeus type), I want to correct the impression that it's because I've little to do. The reverse is true. I've been online a lot because I've been doing endless hours photo-processing, which is a mind-numbingly tedious job, and once per hour I have to pop my head above the parapet to avoid insanity. My Roman Republican coin database here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahala_rome/collections/

has about 2,500 public photos of Republican coins (or related museum objects) and 4,500 hidden (research) photos. Those are big numbers, but it's difficult to conceive the hours, days and months that goes into them. So I want to describe my current task (last week and this week). I recently re-shot photographs of 260 of my own coins, and took a further 190 photographs of new coins from someone else's collection. So 450 new coins. Each side of each coin is snapped 3 or 4 times, from which I choose the best obverse and the best reverse. That's three thousand photographs I have been processing in the last week or two. 3,000. NB it took some time to shoot them too! Once I narrow it down to 900, each has to be rotated and optimised for exposure or lighting, cropped and stitched into 450 coin photos. That takes an awful lot of time, even if every photo was optimally lit in the first place (which is rarely the case). Each photo then needs to be numismatically named - involving 10 or 15 minutes poring through Crawford to ensure a correct detailed text description. At the end of the process I expect to reject about one third which will need to be redone. You will never know those photos which are re-shoots of my own coins - I will just quietly replace the old photo with a new one without announcing to the world. So at the end of the process, those who follow updates to my Flickr site will see perhaps 120 new coins, which will be the output from those days shooting 3,000 coin sides, and weeks processing. I could I guess spend a few thousand dollars and buy a Danner set-up, but many of my photos are taken in other peoples homes, hotels or museums and it ain't really portable nor will it do the numismatic write-ups for me.  :(

I know that sometimes on this list people perceive me to be a bit too direct. I do sincerely apologise and really don't want to upset people. But sometimes I do get a bit grumpy after evenings, following my day-job, fine-tuning photos, or writing html code (I code all my own website ... if photo-processing is dull, don't even go there), or correcting footnotes in an article I may be writing. So try forgive my grumpiness, I'm just sometimes tired. But as a reward for reading all this nonsense, I attach below the fold some of the upcoming photos (source will be revealed shortly...):

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Re: Hard at work (photography)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
Whats your set up for taking photos if you do not mind me asking as I have had a problem getting decent photos for years on coins
I have a very good camera Nikon D3100 which helps but it drives me crazy taking decent photos.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »
I never thought of you as grumpy. We can all be short at times.  Especially those of us that often try to fit way too many hours of work into each day or week.  And I am sure you get asked the same questions repeatedly...

Your output of photos and informations are apreciated and I am sure that you have opened up Roman Republican numismatics as a field for serious hobbyists as well as casual collectors more than anything else available on the web or easily available in print.

I started collecting with an interest in RR denarii, but your website is  responsible for sparking my interest in anonymous RR bronzes.

We will be waiting for your updates and I am sure we will enjoy them.
Thanks for all the work.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »
Whats your set up for taking photos if you do not mind me asking as I have had a problem getting decent photos for years on coins
I have a very good camera Nikon D3100 which helps but it drives me crazy taking decent photos.

Others on this list are in a better position to talk "set-up" because the great majority of my photos are taken outside my home, in circumstances totally outside my control, with no reasonable time to set-up and usually only with what equipment I take in my airplane carry on bag (with all the restrictions that suggests), often with restrictions on power sources or voltages, and very often unplanned (i.e. when I was not expecting to take coin photos, but by luck had my camera with me).

For example in the case of the 5 sample photos attached to my post, they were taken in a dark room in a winter evening, in a location I had not been to before, with no set-up time. I had with me a gorilla-grip tripod (which you can attach to something solid), a grey card, and a handheld LED light wand. Everything else I scavenged from my surroundings, using in this case a chair-back to attach the tripod to, and some books to effect height-distance adjustment; the light was held in my hand. I often take photos in coin bourses (we all know how spacious those are) or in museums through glass, or in coin rooms where I have no adjacent power supply etc. etc. In the case of one series of coin photos, I took them in a hotel room, standing on a chair in the kitchenette in order to get the best light by placing the coins on top of the refrigerator near a flourescent light source, and holding the camera in my hand. If you wonder why I did not arrange for proper lighting, I did not realise I would have any need to take photos that day.

So I am evidently not the person to ask about "set-up".

That said, despite the lack of set-up, I think the five pictured coins are rather beautiful: I hope you all have a look at them. They are all clearly FDC examples (unworn, perfect strikes from fresh dies of the finest style on large flans), save for a tiny scratch on one of them.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:41:44 pm »
I never thought of you as grumpy. We can all be short at times.  Especially those of us that often try to fit way too many hours of work into each day or week.

Thanks for the understanding Eric. Mere lucky choice of words rescues me at time. And sometimes not.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »
Andrew,
I guess I must be on the right track your pics of the J.Caesae denarius you took in the red tray almost looked 3d and wondered how you managed to get them so clear I though you had some secrect insight.(Probably do but not telling hahahahahaha)

I assume you are in London  or close to it with easy access to the museums ?

Adrian

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »
Andrew,
I guess I must be on the right track your pics of the J.Caesae denarius you took in the red tray almost looked 3d and wondered how you managed to get them so clear I though you had some secrect insight.(Probably do but not telling hahahahahaha)

I assume you are in London  or close to it with easy access to the museums ?

Adrian

The secret is to have a dark room, a chair and a refrigerator to hand, as in my detailed technique description. Photos always turn out perfect with these props.

I am indeed often in the museums of London (and other cities too). I'm a city boy, and often an inter-city travelling boy.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »
I live in FL, born in Liverpool lived in N.Wales mostly until 22 then moved to the USA.

If you ever see vans with Greenthumb on the road in the UK thats my Brothers business he has about 500 of them and over 200 franchises and
about 500,000 customers throught the UK.

I just sell real estate a lot cheaper than it was a few years back

I will be in the UK at the end of the year for cold,rain and damp

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:58 am »
They're all spectacular coins.  I like the Plancus the best, on account of the reverse.   Thanks for taking the effort to share information on the coins.

I put a ton of time in my old radio hobby, but 3,000 photos is certainly dedication, wow.  Thanks for sharing those with us.

It's exceptionally generous of you to share pictures.  I don't have my best coins in the gallery, both because I'm incompetent at photographing, but also because I don't want the attention (both for security reasons and to make it tougher  if the coin goons try to confiscate our coins, even though I've always bought from reputable dealers);  not that I generally have the caliber of your coins.   I have rare and/or interesting ones here and there, and a smattering of beautiful, but you have so many consistently rare, beautiful, and interesting pieces.  Your site is on my browser's quick-tab space, along with some old time radio, Forum, etc.  That says something.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:56:13 am »
They're all spectacular coins.  I like the Plancus the best, on account of the reverse.   Thanks for taking the effort to share information on the coins.

I keep looking at them again myself, even though I took the photos! The Legionary type is amazing, on a colossal flan, and absolutely perfect. The Muse denarius is a type often well-made but this one is like a proof. And though the early denarius types are a mystery to most people, that spearhead type is wow. It's a truly stunning coin.

Many more coming up soon.

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:04 pm »
Is the reverse of the Plancus referring to a contemporary painting?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »
Is the reverse of the Plancus referring to a contemporary painting?

Not sure - here is what the ever reliable Admiral Smyth says about the type:

PLANCVS. Aurora, with wings and flowing robes, is guiding four spirited horses, emblematic of daybreak — or rather of that peculiar light by which the rising sun is preceded, and which Eos, or Aurora, was supposed to bring up from the east, — the akasch, or fifth element of Hindoo physics. Here we have L. Plautius Plancus, who being adopted from the Munatia gens by a
L. Plautius, took his new relative's praenomen as well as nomen. He was not
fortunate ; being included in the deadly proscription of the triumvirs, with the
full consent of his contemptible brother Munatius Plancus, the consul of B.C. 43
(see No. 47, Tablet x.), Plautius fled, and found concealment in the neighbourhood
of Salernum. Here he seemed safe, but the perfumed ointments which he used,
and other refinements, gave his enemies a clue to his lurking place ; when, to save
his slaves, who were being tortured to death because they would not betray him,
he voluntarily surrendered himself to his merciless executioners.

These denarii may have been devised B.C. 43, to record the noted act of an ancestor: for it
seems that the musicians, being annoyed at the want of respect showed them by the
severe censor, Appius Claudius, made a strike, and went to Tibur to settle there. But
the people feeling the loss of these waits at ceremonies and rejoicings, C. Plautius,
the other censor, had them entertained at a great banquet, through a friend on
the spot, where, being made drunk, they were thrown into wagons, and con-
veyed into the middle of the Roman forum, having their faces masked, that the
magistrates might not recognise the truants thus brought back against their
own decree (Ovid, Fast. vi. 651). As this welcome return occurred in the
morning, Aurora is represented : but it was sufiiciently light to render infinite
amusement to the authorities and the populace, as also perhaps to themselves.
Persius might have said — as of his intrepidly ignorant and braggart captain —

" Convulsive mirth on every cheek appears,
And every nose is wrinkled into sneers!"

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:40 pm »
The Legionary type is amazing, on a colossal flan, and absolutely perfect.

How many coins have a full beaded border on BOTH the obverse and reverse?? Wow. Stunning coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity