Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lighting issues. How do I use a reflector to get better detail?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline TheEmpireNeverEnded

• Praetorian
Alright.   So, I recently received this coin in the mail, and I'm not sure as to the reason that I psychologically yearn for the most attractive photograph of it (or perhaps I do), but I do know that I've taken well over 50 photos of it without satisfaction, heh.  At this point, I'm getting annoyed, so I plunged into the forums for lighting enlightenment (yes), and only came away with a general theme.  Specifically: a reflector (since I don't have a second lamp). I'm wondering if anyone could go into detail about it (or link me to somewhere where this has already occurred).  Somewhere someone recommended foil, somewhere else, white paper, and somewhere else still - grey.  The picture I've included gives you a general sense of my plight and the point of my scrutiny: THE BEARD.  Albinus wears it well, but when lit from a position that shows his expressive face, the beard lacks much detail.  Only when lit from an extreme angle does the full magnificence become apparent - but at the expense of all else (as is so often the case in life).  Am I on the right track?

• Praetorian
Two more examples of my lighting shortcomings:

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Lighting issues. How do I use a reflector to get better detail?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:46:45 am »
IMO, they're all pretty good, and each teaches you something about the coin, but I think that I like the first and the fourth best.
Pat L.

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:04:38 am »
IMO, they're all pretty good, and each teaches you something about the coin, but I think that I like the first and the fourth best.
Pat L.

I agree with your choices, in fact, they are exactly in line with my own.  But that loss of robust moustache detail makes me hesitant to use such photos in my gallery.  If only there were a way to combine the particular quirks of each (magic?).  I appreciate your input.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 02:48:46 am »
I am having the same problems. White background .Lighting  with two lamps ( not direct but reflected from two umbrellas) when pressing the shutter. Any ideas.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:56:16 am »
Depending on what you want to do with the photo, many things are possible.  Software now exists allowing you to combine groups photos of people so each person looks best even though the original photos were different where each had his eyes open or smiled nicely.  By blending your first two images using the Merge function of Photoshop Elements 10, the center below resulted from your first two images (left and right).  This would be OK if you were writing a book but wholly inappropriate if using the image to sell the coin.  My only suggestion there is to rotate the coin and observe when you see the best compromise of detail and smoothness.  You have discovered a fact that beards look better with harsh detail while faces look better more softly lighted.  All beyond that is compromise.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:08 am »
Benito:

My suggestion for your images is to rotate the coins so the light appears to come from the top rather than the bottom.  You have shadows on top of the head where natural viewing would prefer to see light and light under chins where we expect shadows.  Brightly polished surfaces make all this worse.  Moving lights is hard work.  I suggest rotating the coin and observing through the camera when you see a good result.  You will then need to rotate the image to restore the top to the top position.  Of course you might have a camera rig that allows rotating (long lenses with tripod rings do this) which would take care of restoring the top to the top but that is a small problem compared to getting the glares and reflections where you want them. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity