Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zeus Hellanios  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Zeus Hellanios
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »
this is a topic i have been pondering for some time, and a new coin in my collection (from Akragas) has me looking for more details.

Zeus Hellanios may be translated as ‘Zeus worshipped by all Hellenes‘, and this supports the theory that He was originally a pre-Dorian god of the Hellenes, and so was probably worshipped in the region of Thessaly or perhaps even at Dodona. the cult seems to have been centered at Aigina, where a sanctuary existed on Mt. Oro.

however the epithet Hellanios refers specifically to Zeus’ aspect of ‘Bringer of the Rains’. this epithet seems to have begun after Zeus answered a prayer by Aiakus, King of Aigina and grandfather of  Achilles and Ajax, to “avert drought and barrenness from the land of Greece”. in appreciation he built the mountaintop sanctuary.

numismatically this reference occurs almost exclusively in Sicily during the early 3rd century BC, or more specifically circa 290-260. here the god was typically depicted without a beard, and so is often mistaken for Apollo.
below are a few examples...

the first is a Syracusan bronze from my collection depicting Zeus Hellanios, and is from the reign of Hiketas II (288-279).
the second coin, also from my collection, is from Akragas and was struck around the same time (275-240).
and a brief search of Forvm yielded the third example, issued by the Mamertini at Messana circa 288.

so it appears that at least three separate sections of the Sicilian population during the early third century embraced this particular aspect of Zeus at just about the same time, an aspect virtually ignored until then. but why?
was there a drought in Sicily during this period? this would not be an uncommon occurrence even in modern times, so the odds are pretty good. however i was thinking of a more specific event, possibly recorded into history. if that is the case then perhaps this was simply a propitiation to the god.
or is it evidence of an emerging cult at Sicily, possibly introduced by immigrants from Aigina?

nothing definitive has turned up yet in my research, but the investigation continues. i would appreciate any further information anyone might be able to provide.

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
Re: Zeus Hellanios
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:36:29 am »
Was use of this title a reaction by the remaining Greek city-states of Sicily to Carthaginian hegemony over most the island between Agathocles and the 1st Punic War? An attempt to create a more unified Us v. Them by drawing a distinction between Zeus (worshipped by Hellenes) and Melquart/Baal (worhsipped by Punic cities).

I believe I read this theory in a recent history of Carthage, I will try to find the book again later today and double check.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:58 pm »
political?
hmmm, that's a possibilty i hadn't considered. the timeframe sure corresponds though.

thanks,
~ Peter

Offline mcbyrne21

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:27:50 pm »
Hi Peter,

The book that I thought I had gotten the idea from was "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" by Patrick Miles. I flipped through it again tonight and didn't find anything specifc to Zeus Hellanios but he does have several excellent discussions that use the coinage of Carthage to illustrate the political situation and religious sythesis in Sicily, Sardinia, Tunis, etc  and a lot of info about the struggle between Greek, Carthage and Rome for control of the island in general throughout the book.

cheers,
mcbyrne

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:50 am »
thanks for that mcbyrne.
i have heard of that book and planned to get it eventually anyway. perhaps this is the impetus i need.   8) 

thanks again,
~ Peter

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:54:49 pm »
political?
hmmm, that's a possibilty i hadn't considered. the timeframe sure corresponds though.

thanks,
~ Peter

Peter R. Franke's excellent book on the ancient coinage of Epirus has a little chapter, almost a separate subject, near the end that posits the Elenios coinage of Syracuse being later than it is ordinarily attributed - namely from the time of Pyrrhos or maybe even just after (if I recall correctly - been a while since I read it).  In German and maybe not so easy to get ahold of but worth a read.  The 'Cult of Hellenios' at Syracuse is the subject of his analysis.

Franke's book is worth a look for other reasons because of the links that tie Ptolemaic, Epirote, and Sicilian coinage through the life of Pyrrhos and his adventures of conquest and glory in Macedonia, Egypt, Epirus, Italy, and Sicily.

PtolemAE

Offline Casey M

• Auxiliary
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:04:45 am »
If anyone can help me out here....I own a similar coin to the three you have pictured - mine looks identical to the one linked below but with a different patina.  

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3322&lot=27

I noticed that this listing identifies the Obverse as Apollo. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 05:09:58 am »

Offline Casey M

• Auxiliary
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 02:19:40 pm »
Thanks for your response!

I've been researching these coins a bit.

I can't find a source that directly confirms that this is a youthful Zeus, though that's overwhelmingly the consensus. Seems to be that it's purely based on the fact that it says "Zeus Hellenios" on the front - which I think is good reasoning enough.

However, there are coins that have names written on the front with a depiction that is not the named person - for example the Julius Caesar issued coin with Aeneas on the front that says "CAESAR".

In addition, nearby in Calabria around the same time, there was a very similar coin minted that is virtually identical in terms of imagery on both sides that is identified as Apollo (link below).
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3594&lot=26

Not trying to be argumentative here - just posing the question. I can't help but wonder if this was intended to depict Apollo but there was some confusion in what was meant by the wording on the coin.

Either way, I love these coins and Sicily's history. I'll continue researching.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 03:55:42 pm »
There is an article by Benedetto Carroccio about this coin type:
https://tinyurl.com/y7ofh4p4

It is written in Italian, but with some translation program you probably will find out what he is writing  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »
I'm not able to translate that page, but the gold coin of Taras has a couple of interesting points.
The portrait is Apollo,  as confirmed by His laurel wreath. To confuse the situation further, the reverse eagle is a symbol of Epirus, the home of the sanctuary of Zeus at Dodona. At the time this coin was struck Taras was continually receiving military help from Epirus, from the time of Alexander down to the advent of Pyrrhus, hence the eagle.
Hope this helps.

- Peter

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 08:38:48 am »
Zwus also can wear a laurel wreath.  It is not confined only to Apollo.  Can you show a contemporary Greek coin that names one god and show another on the same side?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity