Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gaius/Caligula of the day  (Read 799 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Gaius/Caligula of the day
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:32:00 pm »
I've been trying to put together two each denarii of the 12 Caesars.  Here is my second Gaius which was in a better condition than my first.  I think I've only ever had one other coin worthy of a coin of the day posting (my Claudius).  Given how few of these I've seen, and the condition, I thought this might have a place here:

Gaius (Caligula). 37-41 A.D. AR Denarius. Rome Mint, 37-38 A.D. (3.55g, 19.1m, 5h). Obv: [C CAE]SAR AVG GERM P M TR POT, laureate head right. Rev: AGRIPPINA MAT C CAES AVG GERM, Agrippina, bust, draped right, hair falling in queue down her neck. RIC I 14 (R), RSC 2. 

Additional description of the type at my galleryhttps://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82211

The older, chewed up looking Gaius (the only one I could find for a long time) here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70396

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Re: Gaius/Caligula of the day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »
A really wonderful addition, you don't see these that often, especially with two great portraits. Good show!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »
Fantastic!  Congrats Lucas.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:21:26 pm »

Mother & Son, a real killer combination!
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity