Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Monogram to identify, apparently not Byzantine  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Falderal

• Consul
    • The Metaphor Observatory
Monogram to identify, apparently not Byzantine
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:39:00 am »
I've gone through countless monograms from Greek onwards and Byzantine outwards and got nowhere. Tried Vandals, Visigoths, Roman, Greek, Bulgar, Carolingan, Merovingian, Franks, Normans, Herberts - you name it. No dice!

Years ago, I saw some similar elements on a coin of the Middle East, which led me to think it was a Middle Eastern Byzantine imitative, but found no such monogram among those available online.

The coin is a small, squarish bronze with text laid out in lines in the typical byzantine fashion on one side and this monogram on the other. I did my best to draw what can be seen, and my best to photograph same.

Thanks, all!
"Coining a word leaves your mouth minty fresh!" - G.G. Falderal

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Re: Monogram to identify, apparently not Byzantine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:20:42 pm »
That's a Umayyad fals struck in Damascus around the year 130AH (748 AD), Bone 16.

The obverse (bottom picture) has the first part of the Shahada in three lines: la ilaha / illa Allah / wahdahu.  The reverse has the mint name, Dimashq, written across the center of the coin.  A small ornament described as a vertical branch is above it (at the right side of your photo), and the Arabic word ja'iz is below.

Jim

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:14 am »
I think you nailed it, Jim. Thank you! I had no idea about the orientation, and it certainly reflects the Byzantine style nicely, showing influence - if not outright plagarism!

A beautiful, meaningful coin, even if butchered and worthless. Would you say that the branch is from a cedar?

Thanks to everyone who helped in the background try to solve this one. I'd say that the circle in the middle really had me convinced it was a standard monogram, and not something far more obscure. I've rotated the photo to its proper orientation for future reference.

rick2

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:43:16 pm »
the circle in the middle is the M in Di ma s q , the mint name , the joined III next to it is the S

nice coin , is the first time i see such a layout on a fulus

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »
Thanks for the help, rick2 - this one had me going nuts, especially with the Roman-looking text on the reverse.

I can't find a single, solid reference to this one online, even with all the nice details provided by Jim Roberts and rick2. Does anyone have a photo or further info on this one?

Great coin - great mystery!

rick2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »
try here

www.zeno.ru

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
Nothing, rick2 - I had no luck with several search strings, including "Umayyad+130AH", "Umayyad+Damascus", "Umayyad+Damashq", "I'm+getting+frustrated" and "I+give+up"...

rick2

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:05:16 am »
dont search it !
browse it

http://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=609

here s the link for the umayyad section, go into fulus and see what you find

there are lots and lots of different types of fulus so i would not be surprised if you cant find a match

Offline Falderal

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »
You're right, rick2 - though the search didn't find similar coins, a browse did.

I saw a familiar name during my quest, and found some close calls, I could find no match to the above description.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity