Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Greek Coin, about the size of a nickle, but almost twice as thick.  (Read 548 times)

Offline Connolly206

• Auxiliary
I have been working on this coin for almost a year (obviously mostly by leaving it in a soak)
I recently ordered the gringots solution and the Nic-a-brush, and they have really revealed a lot more than before.
I believe it is Greek, but I don't know for where and have been through several thousand of pictured looking for a link and havent come up with much.
The coin is slightly larger than a nickle and about 1.75 times thicker.
The face (looking right) has good detail on it, the figure does not appear to have a robe, nor does he appear to have any accessories in his hair.

the reverse has very little detail on it, but were I to guess it almost looks as if there is an person reclining (feet to the left and head to the right).
It loos as if in the lower portion of the coin there may have been some writing, or designs, but it is hard to make out.

I have attached a few pictures of the front and back,  but despite reading the guide on how to photograph these coins it was very difficult to get a clear image.

If someone might offer some guidance as to the coin I would be grateful.

I have had very good luck identifying the roman coins but this one is beyond my limited experience.

Thank you in advance,

Andrew Connolly

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Offline Connolly206

• Auxiliary
Pekka, that is absolutely amazing.  Thank you so much.

My fiance has been looking for something to use as her "something old" and wants to sew something into her dress.  I wanted to give her this, but without knowing what it was I couldn't.  You were a great help.  Thank you

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Next time, think about not cleaning the coins so much, this is really overcleaned. But so is the coin in the link and it's definitely something old.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity