Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with weirdl little silver coin with monograms?  (Read 920 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
Help with weirdl little silver coin with monograms?
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »
And a third puzzle for good measure: This is a tiny silver coin with letters and (presumably) monograms on both sides. Balkan perhaps??
Francis

Offline cuburo83

• Praetorian
Re: Help with weirdl little silver coin with monograms?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Medieval Serbia djurdj vukovic-brankovic
Master of Kosovo 1402-1412, despot of raska 1427-1456

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:27 pm »
Thanks! (And it wasn't such a bad guess that I made, was it?)
Is there an accessible (cheap) catalogue of early Balkan coins, suitable for clueless people like myself?
Francis

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:41 pm »
My favorite book in this area is Dimnik and Dobrinic's "Medieval Slavic Coinages in the Balkans," Spink, 2008, which covers Croatia (Slavonia), Serbia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, and the East Adriatic Towns (Ragusa, etc.).  It has a considerable amount of historical and numismatic information in its first section, along with photographs of representative specimens.  This is followed by a catalog section which has full descriptions of each type along with clear line drawings.  (Your coin is #41.1.17.)

I don't know if the price is low enough for you, but it's really quite reasonable for a book with such a broad scope and extensive detail (IMO).  And I notice it's available from the host of this web site:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=50720q00.jpg&vpar=1833&zpg=62994&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Jim

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation, Jim, and for the link. I've just ordered the book. Hey ho, a new area of numismatics to learn about!   ;D
Francis

All coins are guaranteed for eternity