Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Dupondius  (Read 2014 times)

4to2CentBCphilia

Nero Dupondius
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »
My wife will kill me, but I had to have this for the portrait. Not the best reverse, but I kept coming back to this one because of the portrait.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-81897

As for explaining my purchase to my wife...well, I am still working on that story........

BR

Mark

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Nero Dupondius
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »
Keep working on your story....

That portrait is simply superb and will surely be worth any repercussions.

Martin

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:36:38 pm »
Fantastic coin! There is a reason why conventional wisdom says that Roman numismatic art reached a high watermark under Nero, this coin illustrates that point perfectly.

Congrats on an excellent purchase.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:38:01 pm »
My wife will kill me

Maybe we will meet in the domestic violence support group ;D

(Great portrait !)

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »
Keep working on your story....

That portrait is simply superb and will surely be worth any repercussions.

Martin

She probably would not appreciate the one that goes "I looked at thousands, bid on a half dozen and only won one...........but at a really great price"

Probably would not like the one that goes "I was trying for a sestertius but decided to go for the less expensive dupondius"

I am afraid the truth won't save me on this one.  :angel:

I may have to go with "I placed a low bid months ago and completely forgot about it....never imagined I would win at that price"  :evil:

Yup, this hobby can be dangerous.

BR

Mark

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »
Great looking coin, a stellar portrait indeed! Just explain to your wife that as addictions go, ancient numismatics is the bug to have. Coins are small and don't carry the adverse effects that say, drugs, prostitutes, and fast cars do. Whenever my wife raises an eyebrow, I always pull the "Oh, would you prefer cocaine and prostitutes?!" card, and that shuts her right up. You should definately try this method.  ;)

*I am of course not at all serious, you SHOULD NOT ever say this if you want to live*  ;D

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:03:05 am »
Congratulations, I'm glad that one is going to a good home, I was tempted by it myself.
                                                                               LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity