Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip III Drachm OTD  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Philip III Drachm OTD
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
Just won this lovely (IMO) little coin (and two others, all well below the estimates :laugh: (bidders took early summer vacations this year ??? )).

KINGS of MACEDON. Philip III Arrhidaios. 323-317 BC. AR Drachm (16mm, 4.31 g, 12h). Sardes mint. Struck under Menander or Kleitos, circa 322-319/8 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; torch in left field, TI below throne. Price P99; ADM I Series XIV (unlisted dies). Superb EF, toned, tiny die break on reverse.

Property of Princeton Economics acquired by Martin Armstrong. Ex Triton II (1 December 1998), lot 332; Numismatic Fine Arts XXV (29 November 1990), lot 85; Numismatic Fine Arts II (25 March 1976), lot 124.

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
Re: Philip III Drachm OTD
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:47:26 am »
Very nice addition! Beautiful style, great centering, nice strike! I think the die breakages add character :)

~Steve

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:27:24 pm »
Thanks Steve :)

Not too sure I see what they are referring to as a die break on reverse, not too sure either about their attribution. TI should be below the throne for P99 and whatever it is on this one, it's more in the exergue I'd say (in their Triton II catalog, for this coin, they wrote "TI(?) below", and no mention of the die break).

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 01:01:18 pm »
I think that the reverse is better rendered seen this way (they used the footstool as the horizon line). Leaves open the question as to what is down there ?

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »
The only possible die defect I see on the rev. is on the right knee. However, I do see, what looks like a die break on the obv.(several concentric cracks in the headress left of his ear. Maybe thats what they meant and was a typo :-\

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »
Yes Steve, the little spot on Zeus knee, that's what I thought too... Wonder why they would mention that and not the obverse flan flaw, wich is far more apparent (but not too distractive, to me at least).

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »

Exquisite coin! Well done!

c.rhodes

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »
Really wonderful coin and an indication that health and safety rules were being applied in Olympus.

Martin

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:38:14 pm »
Really wonderful coin and an indication that health and safety rules were being applied in Olympus.

Martin

;D

No wonder that Gods are eternal, they have footstools !

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »
Very beautiful, congratulations. You were luckier than I, my main coin of interest went for 350% more than the estimate, the other 5% below. Outbid on two others.
                                                                                                            LordBest. 8)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:42 pm »
You were luckier than I, my main coin of interest went for 350% more than the estimate, the other 5% below. Outbid on two others.

Fortunately I was outbid on the 8-9 others I also followed. Would have had a nice collection... but no more house to lodge it in :azn:

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:34 pm »
Yes Steve, the little spot on Zeus knee, that's what I thought too... Wonder why they would mention that and not the obverse flan flaw, wich is far more apparent (but not too distractive, to me at least).

I think that is what they meant, and it was a typo.

I too wonder about the attribution :-\ Sure doesn't look like a TI to me ::) And it is way lower than the other examples in Price. The plates on my copy of Price are very low quality, however, I don't see anything else that shows your symbol well. Maybe someone more expert in this series will chime in!

~Steve

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »
Steve, I also looked in Price and Thompson and nothing looks much like it (...plates are not the sharpest as you say). Maybe once I've got it in hand... ???

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:03 pm »
You were luckier than I, my main coin of interest went for 350% more than the estimate, the other 5% below. Outbid on two others.

Fortunately I was outbid on the 8-9 others I also followed. Would have had a nice collection... but no more house to lodge it in :azn:

Same here. Bidding has gotten tricky. Today I got my first auction coin in months after bidding on dozens, and I thought for sure I would get outbid on it.

Lots of money out there...........and I am losing the fight.

BR

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity